Sunday, January 09, 2005

New Year's resolutions...or not.

I don't really think New Year's resolutions are worth making. They are seldom kept and rarely lead to any real change. That said, I am going to try to update this weblog weekly in 2005...I don't want to call it a New Year's resolution, exactly, because I hate how cliché that sounds, but I suppose that I should call it what it is.

We have about 4 or 5 inches of fresh snow this morning here in Portland. This is on top of the 4 or so inches we got on Thursday. Thank goodness my new car has 4WD. (More about the new car later). Driving in the snow is just part of life here, so I've had to suck it up and drive, even though it can be totally scary. It is not a good feeling to put on the brakes and just keep sliding, which happened to me yesterday as I was coming home from work. Fortunately, the car in front of me started moving again or I would have rear ended it. It takes constant focus and concentration to drive on snowy roads, two things I didn't have much of after working the whole day.

I drove Brett into town this morning at 6:00. Because of the storm, he is helping out today at my work, shoveling the snow. They start so early in hopes that they'll (maybe) get done by noon. Shoveling out 225 apartments is hard work, and I am glad I don't have to do it. It's nice that he is able to earn the extra money, though, and help out the maintenance guys so they don't have to do it all themselves.

It's bizarre to be up so early in the morning, especially on a snowy Sunday. The only other vehicles on the road are plow trucks; the world seems deserted. As I drove home after dropping Brett off, the sky began to get light in the east over Back Cove. All of the houses looked very out of place and alien at that time of the morning, windows dark, people sleeping inside, porch lights still on, ineffective in the growing light. The lighter and more gray the sky became, the more everything merged into one color palate - the stark black and white contrasts (snow against the dark sky) of the night began to disappear and the snow-covered trees blended with the backdrop of brightening sky. By the time I got home and went back to bed, it was about 6:45 and almost fully light out. So odd that an hour before it was pitch black night. Falling back asleep was a little tough since the light was coming in the window, but I just pulled the blankets over my head and felt Audrey the cat cuddle up next to my legs, and that was that.

It looks like we may have found a church here in Maine after attending about 6 or 7 that we didn't really like. It's so hard to find one that we like; Mars Hill is so amazing that everything else sort of pales in comparison. Anyway, I'm so glad we may have found one to call home. I really need it. When I was in Seattle for Daisy's wedding, I was able to time my flights so that I could go to Mars Hill. Oh, man. It was almost worse to go once and be reminded of what I was missing out on every week than to not have gone at all. At the end of the sermon, during the singing, I started crying and I couldn't stop. I don't really know why. My guess is that I was feeling homesick and lonely and missing the spiritual nourishment so much. Anyway, this church we found here in Portland is part of the Acts 29 Network, a church-planting organization which Pastor Mark helped found. I was on their website last night looking at the churches in Portland, Oregon for my sister (which is another awesome thing; I'm so glad she's wanting to go to church) and I saw that there is a new Acts 29 church here, in Portland, Maine! From their website, it looks like they've been meeting in a home for about 4 months, and this will only be their 2nd week of meeting in a church building. I am so excited. Oh, and even more wonderful? The service is at 5:30 p.m., so we can go even on the Sundays I have to work (like this one). YAHOO!

I guess that's about it. There's a lot more to say about what's happened the past few months but It can pretty much be condensed into this:
Late November/Early December: Brett involved with finals. We don't see each other; I leave at 7:30, he's still asleep. He comes home at midnight; I'm asleep. This sucks.
Mid-December: Car troubles. And more car troubles. Both doors on the Buick break; I'm forced to leave the window down and reach in to unlock it. (I'll elaborate more on the car troubles in a later post).
Late December: The Buick dies. Just totally kicks the bucket. We drive to VT to buy a used Chevy Blazer from a private-party seller. Got a great deal. Yahoo! A car that works!
Early January: Enjoying my new car. Working a ton. Brett lounging around the house, playing music, working on his mopeds, and helping with laundry.

I'll post a few things I've written lately about all of these events...I have to find them on my computer, though, so it may be tomorrow. (I can't remember if they are saved here or at home).

Brett's done shoveling now so I need to take him home and then hurry back and hope I'm not missed! Yikes. I hate that I have to drive him all that way, but oh well...nothing I can do about it.

No comments: