Tuesday, January 18, 2005

things/people/ideas I love right now

1. We went down to Kahlil's parents' house in New Hampshire this weekend. Wonderful! I love his mom, Bridget. She is the best cook, and just by being there I learned things! She sent me home with a copy of a cookbook she'd used to teach a class. Yummy Steamed Chinese Buns, here I come!

2. While in NH, Kahlil's parents (Ron and Bridget) and I went sightseeing while Brett and Kahlil painted the moped. They were awesome, and very kindly took me all the way into Portsmouth to an AMAZING fabric store, where I bought some fabric to make a skirt. It is by a lady called Amy Butler, and her fabric is awesome! I tried to post a picture but I couldn't figure it out...sorry.

3. Sunday night was our second week at Missio Dei Church. It already feels like home to me. The people are amazingly friendly (we're going to the pastor's house for dinner on Friday, and I'm going with some of the ladies to a citywide ladies breakfast on Saturday) and the teaching is wonderful.

4. Related to church on Sunday is some thinking I have been doing about the topic of the sermon, which was about our inherent sinful nature, and how we must rely on Christ to turn our hearts toward him and keep us from the total depravity that can result from sin.

The topic made me think of two prayers from The Book of Common Prayer, which is the Episcopal Liturgy.

This one is said at the beginning of the service, in preparation for worship:
Almighty God, to you all hearts are open, all desires known,and from you no secrets are hid: Cleanse the thoughts of our hearts by the inspiration of your Holy Spirit, that we may perfectly love you, and worthily magnify your holy Name; through Christ our Lord. Amen.

This is the Confession of Sin:
Most merciful God, we confess that we have sinned against you in thought, word, and deed, by what we have done, and by what we have left undone. We have not loved you with our whole heart; we have not loved our neighbors as ourselves. We are truly sorry and we humbly repent. For the sake of your Son Jesus Christ, have mercy on us and forgive us; that we may delight in your will, and walk in your ways, to the glory of your Name. Amen.

I love these ideas. I *want* to perfectly love God, and worthily magnify his name. I want to delight in his will, and walk in his ways, so that I bring glory to his name. I think that these two statements are intrinsically linked. They both speak of the same end goal: to magnify or to bring glory to God's name. I think the second passage, from the Confession of Sin, shows us how to do that, namely by delighting in God's will and walking in his ways. That is how we can bring glory to God, and make his name great.

5. Brett is so cute where his moped is concerned. Yes, I get tired of listening to the endless talk about mopeds, but I have to admit it is going to be really freaking cool. He and Kahlil got it painted with primer, 2 coats of gloss black, and one coat of clear coat last weekend. They have to go back next Saturday to put one more clear coat on and let it dry. Then it will be gorgeous!
He's starting back to school tomorrow, and I think I'm ready for it. It will be nice for us both to be getting up and leaving the house in the morning...instead of him staying in bed, as he has for a good part of his break. I'd want to do the same thing if I were on break, but knowing that doesn't make it any easier to get up and leave in the morning while he's still sleeping.

6. I can't stop listening to two CDs right now: Wilco's A Ghost is Born and Modest Mouse's The Moon and Antarctica. I used to hate Modest Mouse back in the day (what was I thinking?) but now I'm hooked. Maybe my tastes weren't mature enough when I first heard them back during college. At any rate, both of these albums are completely awesome and I love listening to them.

No comments: