Sunday, February 06, 2005

it's practically a tropical heat wave!

I know I talk about the weather all the time, but here in Maine, the topic of weather is always on the tip of everyone's tounge. BUT the good news is that it was 50 degrees yesterday, and they're expecting it to be as warm today. It is such a treat. For the first time in months, I didn't wear long underwear under my clothes yesterday or today. How freeing! And I'm wearing short sleeves and i'm not freezing. Yahoo!

I'm totally sleepy today. I'm at work, unfortunately, but it's turned out to be a realllllly slow day. Yesterday was nice and busy, but today is just dragging on...and I haven't gotten a ton of sleep this weekend, so that makes it worse. Warm, quiet office + tired Leen = the desire to put my head on my desk and snooze. Alas, I cannot do that...so I will content myself with updating my blog and doing random chores around the office like making photocopies of things.

After work, I have to go get guitar strings for Brett, which is a little nerve-wracking. I just don't want to get the wrong thing. It's like this: the other night, he was coming home from school, and I asked him to stop at the store. I needed 2 potatoes for a recipe I was making.
"I need 2 potatoes, Brett. Just the loose kind -- they should have them in a bin. Got that? 2 baking potatoes."
"Ok, Leen, so 2 loose baking potatoes."
"Yep, that's right."
So he gets home a little later with the grocery store bag and says, "Here you go!" I open up the bag and see not two baking potatoes but two yams.
"Brett! These are yams! Why did you get yams!?"
"Well, they were loose and the sign said 'Great for baking' so I figured that was what you wanted. You didn't say that you needed the kind you use for baked potatoes."
"Yes, I said baking potatoes. Isn't that the same thing?"
"No...I don't know...sorry."

So I don't want to do the same thing with his guitar strings...I mean, yes, yams are sort of a potato, and to give him credit, the sign probably had them labelled as sweet potatoes, but still...I don't want to do the same thing to him! *crossing fingers I'll get the right thing*

Anyway, the reason he needs strings is that we're helping out with the music at church tonight. I'm excited and also sort of nervous. There are only 4 of us -- Brett on guitar, me on piano/keyboard, Eric on bass, and Becca singing and playing drums. We are playing the following:

Refiner's Fire
Amazing Grace
*sermon*
Oh Lord You're Beautiful
*scripture reading -- Psalm 138*
I'll Fly Away
Come Thou Fount

Yes, some of them are of the cheesy youth group variety, but oh well...it will be fine. We're going to do Come Thou Fount all rockin' so that will be fun. The rest we're doing pretty traditional...since it's our first time playing together, we're trying to keep it simple, and then in the future we'll mix it up a bit, I hope. Brett burned CDs from the Mars Hill website of all of Team Strike Force's stuff and passed them out to Becca and Eric, so we're going to try to start playing some of that. It's just tough, cause it's a little more abstract, and also because Brett and I are the only ones who know it, so everyone else in the band, not to mention the congregation, will have to learn it. Slowly, slowly...one step at a time.

Well, I am going to eat my lunch and then try to do some more work. I really should go up to the Pines for a bit but I am not going to, I don't think. I can work on filing before staff tomorrow (it's not my week, anyway) and take the interoffice stuff up then too. So that is what I'm going to do...that way I won't have to drive all the way back downtown to get him strings before I go to church, which is out that way.

I hope all goes well tonight...

No comments: