Saturday, April 02, 2005

rainy, lonely day

I cannot believe it is April already. This year has sped by so quickly...it seems like Christmas was just yesterday, and here we are, about to spring forward tonight. WEIRD!

It's been a while since I've posted. Not a whole lot to tell, really. Brett's in Virginia this weekend for the Mopeds Gone Wild rally hosted by the Hell's Satans of Richmond, Virginia. Check out their website here, http://hellssatans.lumis.com/index/gallery/ and also take a look at photos. I am sure Brett and Kahlil will be in some.

They left Maine last night at 5:00 p.m., about 5 hours later than planned in true Walker family style. (I think of the time we were to leave for Swancutt's at like 11 am and did not leave till 7 p.m.). We all thought they'd get to Richmond around 5 or 6 a.m., but given some faulty Mapquest directions (Brett said that by following the Mapquest directions, they somehow ended up on a highway that just came to an end in Queens, NY. They ended up at a stoplight next to a sign that said, "Welcome to Queens." Very random.), torrential rain, and bad traffic, they didn't get there until 9:30 a.m., making a total of 16.5 hours in the car. YIKES. I am kind of glad I wasn't with them...even though I wish I could have gone. That's a long time to be in the car, and now they are busy, as the Hell's Satans call it, "Shredpedding the streets of Richmond." They'll be driving back tomorrow afternoon/night, so hopefully the weather will have improved by then. Anyway, I couldn't deal with that kind of sleep deprivation without morphing into b*tch-Leen.

So I am just by myself this weekend...not doing much. Hung out with Becca and Sara at their new apartment last night, and I am working today. It's pouring down rain and only in the upper 30's, so not very pleasant weather in which to be out and about. I wish I were home, cleaning my house and hanging out. I am supposed to go to Becca and Sara's new place after work, but I think I'm just going to go for a while and then go home and get cozy with little Audrey. Besides, my sister is supposed to call tonight, too, and I want to be home to chat with her. So we'll see what happens.

In other news, Brett got a job. Wahoo! I know that it's hard on him, becuase he's working random hours, often overnight, but it means a lot to me and will help us out tremendously. It's nice to know I'm not the one bearing the whole of the financial burden anymore. Also, I'm going to be doing some work for church, writing letters, helping with the website, etc. So that will be good too!

There was some extremely sad news on the front page of the Portland Press Herald today. http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/news/local/050402westbrook.shtml One of my favorite residents, Lavinia, had just moved out about 2 weeks ago, and they found her dead this morning in her new house. They think her estranged father killed her. I am totally sad. I cried when I read the article. That poor woman had been through so much -- her husband had been killed in Iraq last year and she was just starting to get her life back together -- at least she's at peace now and with her husband. I think I need to send a card to her in-laws, whom I'd met and worked with on some details regarding her apartment just after her husband's death. So tragic. It makes me angry and sad. I eally regret that I didn't call her last week like I had in my mind to do. I wonder what will happen to her poor kitties that she loved so much? I hope they find a good home.

Can I just say that space heaters are really annoying things? I have one here under my desk that I turn on when my feet are cold, and then it gets so warm it starts burning my legs. So I turn it off and I'm freezing again. I wish I could adjust how much air blows out, but alas, I cannot. So I will either freeze or burn, with no middle ground of just being warm.

I don't know if I have posted about this before, but I've been wanting this thing called a Hoover Floormate for like 8 months, since late last summer/early fall. It's a vaccum-type thing that is designed for hard floors, and since I have soooo much hardwood in our house, I think it would make cleaning much easier. Essentially, it dry vaccums the dirt and crud off the floor, then you flip a switch and it drops these rotating brushes down and spits out cleaning solution, and scrubs the floor, then squeegees it dry. So vaccuming and mopping all reduced into ONE floor cleaning apparatus. (I now use 4: broom, dust mop, swiffer dry and swiffer wet.) Anyway, I have been saving up, and I finally have the money. I got a coupon in the mail last week for Bed Bath and Beyond for 20% off any item...so I went down to the mall on my lunch on Thursday to finally get my Floormate. I wait EIGHT MONTHS, and the one day I go to get it, they are out. Just out. Seriously, if I didn't believe in a kind, benevolent, loving God, I would have thought he was up in heaven laughing at me. Anyway, they ordered it for me from another store and it should be here this week. Yay!

I just saw a NewsCenter 6 news truck go by out front; I bet they are going to interview Lavina's former neighbor, Matt. :( So sad! I will have to watch the news tonight to see what they say.

Well, I should get going. Someone's coming in for a tour in about 10 minutes; I should do some paperwork until then.

No comments: