Friday, June 17, 2005

getting excited...

I'm getting really excited (and nervous!) for my new job. Last night, after dinner and CSI, I got in bed with my AP stylebook, my Contemporary Editing book, and my Newspaper Designers' Handbook. I read the chapter of CE about headlines. I think, oddly enough, that's what I'm most nervous about. Headlines, though seemingly simple, are actually really tough to write well. Writing stories and even designing pages are fairly intuitive for me; I'm confident that once I get on a computer and write or mess around with Pagemaker for an hour or so I'll be fine. It will all come back like riding a bicycle. But headlines? Yikes. They freak me out.

Anyway, T-minus 3 days and counting until Tuesday, when I get to go in for my first day. Woo!

Haven't mopedded in over a week. Boo. First, my sister was visiting with her kids, and then it's been rainy since. I miss it.

My house is a mess. I hate it. It was clean when Melissa came, and we managed to keep it fairly neat while she was here, but her last night we just didn't clean up dinner and just relaxed, and it's all gone downhill from there. Brett keeps saying he'll clean the kitchen up, but somehow it hasn't been done yet (I'm hopeful we'll get to it tonight). It just really needs to be deep-cleaned. I've actually considered hiring someone to do it, but I have very mixed feelings about that.

Pros:
-- I wouldn't have to clean
-- I wouldn't have to nag Brett about cleaning
-- I would have less stress in my life
-- We have such a big house; it takes me forever to clean and I'd have more time on my days off to just relax

Cons:
-- It's expensive
-- I feel bad hiring cleaners, because many of them work such crappy jobs for such low wages that they can't even survive (think Nickel and Dimed, by Barbara Eherenreich), www.nickelanddimed.net
-- I'd feel like such a slacker, guilty that I wasn't just taking care of it myself
-- It's kind of weird and borderline embarassing to have someone else cleaning your toilet, your dirt, your filth, don't you think?

Yeah, it's truly not feasible financially and I think it's not something I want to do anyway because of the social implications. I guess I'll just have to live with a semi-messy/dirty house for now.

Anyway, I should get back to work. Lots to do today in anticipation of my last day next week. Loose ends to wrap up, and all that.

No comments: