Friday, June 10, 2005

wow. how quickly things can change.

I am sort of stunned, reeling in shock. One week ago today, I woke up thinking I would go to work at Princeton Properties indefinitely, that I would lease apartments and deal with Brian and just go about my business. Little did I know that I would read this ad in the newspaper last Friday afternoon:

REPORTER NEEDED - Full time for weekly newspaper covering Gorham and Westbrook. Benefits included. Experience preferred. Photography experience helpful. Could develop into editor position. Call Carolyn or David @ xxx-xxxx.

Well. Something inside me said to call, so I did, leaving a voicemail. Only minutes later, David called me back and we chatted for a few minutes. He asked me to fax some writing samples and a resume, so I did that on Saturday, after work.

Sunday afternoon at 1, I had an email from David wanting to meet with me ASAP. We scheduled a meeting for 7 p.m. on Monday. I drove down to Biddeford, met with him, and left itching to work on a newspaper again, but not really knowing what my chances were of actually getting the job.

I got home about 8:30 and checked my email -- there was one there from him, clarifying one of my references. The next morning, I had an email from one of my references saying that he'd called her and she wouldn't be surprised if he offered me the job right away.

Not 20 minutes later, David was on the phone, offering me the job. I accepted, but had to wait until today to give my notice at Princeton since I was out of the office Wednesday and Thursday.
So, I start work as a real-life newspaper reporter on June 27! Wow! I really never thought I would get the chance to do this, to write and get paid for it. Now that I've finally given my notice (which I was dreading) I can relax and get excited and have fun and look forward to it! YAHOO!
I am nervous and excited and thrilled all at once. I know that once I start doing it again, it will all come back, but I feel so rusty and unused right now. I want to practice with layout, especially. I love laying out pages; it is a fun challenge for me. Maybe I could go into the newspaper office and practice during some evenings before I actually start full-time.

Once we're online, I'll post a link here to the newspaper. The first issue will be published in 2 weeks from today, so I likely won't be a huge part of that, but that's ok.

No comments: