Friday, November 04, 2005

I'm not sure what to think...

Yesterday, my boss told me he thinks I use my cell too much for personal calls at work. I hate conversations like that. It wasn't too bad, I guess, but just awkward and I could tell he felt weird saying anything. He was totally nervous and kept asking me indirect things about my cell phone, to the point that I wasn't sure what he was trying to say at first. I had to ask him, "So, are you saying I use my phone too much at work?"

This all sprung out of the fact that I had a long-ish conversation with my mom two days ago while I was sitting at my desk. Sigh. Usually, when I call my mom, I go outside, which I told him. The one time I don't...and this happens.

In retrospect, I don't think I defended myself enough. I don't think he knows that I use my cell phone for work-related calls all. the. time. despite the fact they don't reimburse me at all for those calls. I also don't think he knows that probably 70% of the time when I'm on my phone at work, it's for work-related things.

Now, the question is, do I tell him this? Say something like, "I just want to clarify, becuase I wasn't clear yesterday, that I do give this number out as my primary contact number for work, so a lot of the time, I am talking about work-related things."

I feel all weird about the whole thing now. Alas, I can't change it, so I'd better just deal with it, I guess.

2 comments:

rebecca said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
rebecca said...

Leen -- I think you should bring that up. I use my cell phone for long distance calls for work (until i get my landline jazzed up) and I talked with him about some sort of "per minute" charge that i could be reimbursed for. If the boss doesn't like that, say something like, well, then i need a business phone -- cell or landline. then he can't argue. I almost did this w/ SPU, but i don't call enough to make it worth it. But make sure that there's a distinct line between work and personal. I'm finding this out a little bit of the hard way only because i've never worked as a contractor that is technically self-employed (as the gov sees it). So...get those lines black and white and separated. You'll feel better and so will he! :)