Saturday, November 05, 2005

I'm off to yoga.

I finally went to the yoga studio and bought a package of classes yesterday. I had a coupon for 15% off the purchase of a package, so I took advantage of it and bought 10 classes. I am going to try to go twice a week from now on.

I cannot spend another awful Maine winter sitting on the couch and eating pie while I watch re-runs of South Park and That 70's Show and The Simpsons as I feel myself get fatter. Something has to change. So, I am going to try to go at 10 a.m. on Saturdays, and 4:30 p.m. on Wednesdays.

Oh, and this isn't just regular old plain yoga. This is hardcore Bikram Yoga, which is a series of 26 asanas that take an hour and a half to complete and are peformed in a room heated to about 106 degrees. (See www.mainebikramyoga.com for more info.)

I love it. I come out feeling cleansed and awake and alive, albeit sweaty. The first few times I did it, I surprised myself by being able to do all 26 poses without having to rest, as many first-timers do. Brett had major issues (ie, puking in the bathroom after the class) but I was ok. It's surprising to me how well I did and how much I enjoyed it. I guess it's just not for some people, which is fine.

Ok, I have to go now unless I want to be late, which would mean I couldn't get in since they lock the front door when class starts. I hope it's as good today as it was when I went the last time, back in August.

No comments: