Friday, November 25, 2005

Thanksgiving thoughts...

Brett and I had a nice, quiet Thanksgiving yesterday. In fact, he was at work till 3 p.m., plowing snow, so it was really quiet for me. I read a bunch (in bed under 2 down comforters, a quilt, and another blanket, of course, because the rest of our house was freaking freezing since we haven't turned our furnace on yet to try to save money) and then cooked.

Since we don't do the turkey thing, I pretty much just made the trimmings, which was fine with us. Apple-walnut stuffing, peas, salad, some very good mashed potatoes, vegan gravy, cranberry sauce, and pumpkin pie. Quite good. I have leftover stuffing, peas, and pie for lunch today. Yums!

So, what am I thankful for? Lots and lots of things. I'll share a few.

1. My husband. He has been so great lately. I'll be honest; the past 2 years here in Maine have been really hard on us and our relationship, but the past month or so has been wonderful. For instance, this morning, he cleaned the snow off my car for me before he left for work. Aww. :)

2. Our families. Our parents, siblings, nieces and nephews, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins...they are wonderful. Despite the fact we're so far away from them, we love them very much and I definitely miss them all.

3. Having a car that works. I have had too many crap cars that break down...it's so nice not to have to worry about whether my car will start when I go out in the morning.

4. Our friends. We've made a few good ones here in Maine, and I'm so glad for that. I'm also thankful for all of the friends we have who are now spread all over the country and the world. I was thinking about it the other day, and we have friends in three countries and probably almost every state. It's wonderful.

5. This is going to sound weird...but I'm very thankful for what you might call my internet friends, the Snarkies. It's so strange, but they are true friends who I am thankful to have. They go beyond just being so-called Internet friends. I don't know what I would have done without them the first year or so we were in Maine, when I didn't have friends here yet. Now, they are an ingrained part of my life.

6. My job. Yes, sometimes I am frustrated with it, and although I feel underpaid at times, I love what I do. I get *paid* to *write* and talk to people all day. It's great. There's not really much else I'd rather do, except be a stay-at-home mom someday.

7. 180 days. That is all I have to say. *grin*

8. This is strange-ish, but I'm thankful for our cat, Audrey. She's so snuggly and cute and I just really love her. I never thought I'd be this attached to a pet...but I am.

9. The Internet. I love the Internet. Email, blogs, message boards, netflix, endless information at my fingertips, etc, etc, etc. It's fantastic. I love that I can write all this here and my family in Oregon, my brother in Korea, my friends in DC can all read it and know a little bit about what's going on in my life.

There's so much more I could say, so many more things I'm thankful for. But that's enough for now. I need to answer some emails and start planning out my work for the week.

1 comment:

rebecca said...

Kathleen, I am so glad that you mentioned that you are thankfuly for your cat. We are planning on rescuing one or two from the Humane Society down the street and that just solidifies that fact that we'll probably go through with it all. We'll send out pictures when we finally get them! :)

We are planning on going to Seattle for Christmas...one of Luke's friends' mom works for Alaska airlines and gave us some guest passes to use to come home...pretty slick! So...are you guys planning on heading home at all for Christmas, or are you just waiting for graduation before you make the trek out West?

Anyway...hope you're doing well! Thanks for the Happy Birthday email -- I'll respond to you soon!

Miss you girl!