Saturday, December 17, 2005

our crazy cat, our Christmas tree, and icy snow


Some of you may have heard me say that my cat Audrey likes to lick me. Upon hearing this, many people have said, "Oh, yeah, sure whatever. My cat likes to lick me, too."

No. You don't understand. My cat really, really licks me. To the point where she will stand up on her hind legs, put her paw on my forehead for support, and lick away. (And lick, and lick, and lick.) It's kind of gross but it's also funny. I don't let her do it all the time, but last night I had Brett take some photos so I could fully document the intensity of the licking.

In the photo below, you will see that I am slightly grimacing. This is because cat tongues are known to be rough and when put in contact with the soft skin on my face...it doesn't feel very pleasant. This is a good example of how she'll put her paw up on my face or my glasses to support herself.



Oh, and I really have to ask you to excuse my AWFUL, terrible fashion (or lack thereof) combination. It's hideous. When I got home from work, I was freezing, so I just put on my very gaudy flannel pajama pants and left on the shirt I wore to work. I really, really should have changed before we started taking photos of things but I didn't think of it until we were almost done. Oh well. I didn't wear it out in public, I just posted it to the whole Internet. Heh.

In addition to being licked by my very strange cat, Audrey (whom we do call Little Aud because, well, she's a little odd), we also decorated our Christmas tree last night.

My father-in-law (hi, Jeff!) told Brett it's a "beautiful tree" and I have to agree with him. Despite going through hell and back to get 3 strands of working lights on it, I have to say it's pretty cool. It's bigger than ones we've had in the past so our ornaments look kinda sparse on it, but all in all it looks pretty good.



We had a good time decorating it -- or at least I did; I think Brett isn't a huge fan of Christmas tree decorating -- as we drank hot cocoa and tea, and listened to the John Fahey Christmas record.

It's completely icy out this morning. Yesterday, we had a few inches of snow followed by rain...and then it froze last night. Everything is iced over and although it is treacherous, it's really beautiful.



This is an example of the treachery. These are our back stairs, which are coated with about an inch of ice in some places. Brett shoveled them last night, but we don't have any salt or ice-melt so they iced over. I think it's time to get some. I have already fallen on the ice this year (last night, but not at home) and I know I'm due for more falls. It's kind of inevitable when you put a clumsy person like me on a solid sheet of ice, minus the ice skates.



This is an example of the beauty, although I don't think this photo does it justice. The way the sun is shining through the ice on the branches of this tree is lovely. I was out early this morning, taking photos for work at an event in Westbrook, and it's really breathtaking when a whole vista of trees are rendered silver by the sunlight shining through their ice-covered branches.

Now, I have to get ready for the day, clean the house a bit because Kahlil and Laura are coming over for dinner (yay! It's been ages since we've seen them), and then go to the mall to meet my friend Katie and do a little shopping. I just have a couple things left -- a present for my nephew Kevin and possibly something for a couple other people who I won't mention here since they read this blog. Also, I am going to see if there's anything I can't live without, since I do have that work bonus burning a proverbial hole in my proverbial pocket.

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

My cat licks me too!! Just like that!! I think he's obsessive compulsive. Maybe we should start a support group for our cats. We'll call it Human Lickers Anonymous or HLA for short.

And of course your pics are great and your tree is beautimous!

Sarah L. said...

My cat, Daisy, likes to lick me, too. I think she likes the taste of my face lotion. Yeah, it's cute for about the first two seconds, until it becomes painful! But my little Daisy is so cute and sweet I wouldn't have her any other way (I say that now, until she tries to climb the curtains again or wakes me up in the morning with her incessant meows).