Tuesday, January 24, 2006

100 things about me

If you make it to the end, I'll be really impressed. 100 things seems like a lot once it's all written out.

1. My middle name is Elizabeth.

2. I am only 5'2" tall.

3. I was born in Sherman, TX but my family moved when I was 3 to...

4. ...a suburb of Portland, OR, where I lived until I went to college.

5. My parents are divorced.

6. I have one brother, one sister-in-law, one sister, and one stepbrother.

7. I am married to my high school sweetheart.

8. We met in Ms. Holden's 6th period journalism class.

9. I was the editor, he was the guy who sat in the back of the class and goofed off.

10. We lived in Seattle for four years.

11. We now live in Maine where he is finishing school.

12. Sometimes I'm so homesick for Seattle that I start to cry, even after more than 2 years here.

13. Just catching a glimpse of the city on a car commercial or something can do this to me.

14. I hate not having any money and I hate having credit card debt.

15. I feel bad that I hate not having any money, becuase we do have SOME money, and there are people who have it much worse than we do.

16. Sometimes I can't sleep at night because I am worried about how to pay the bills.

17. I know that once Brett's done with school and we're both working full-time again, things will be much better financially, and I'm glad that there's a light at the end of the tunnel in that respect.

18. I work as a reporter, which I love.

19. As part of my job, I have to attend city council meetings almost every week.

20. Sometimes they are so boring I want to poke my eyes out with a hot fork but sometimes, I actually enjoy them and find them interesting. (Shh! Don't tell.)

21. I want to be a nice person: kind, loving, gentle, the kind of person who is nice to everybody, but I never seem to succeed. I always end up being snarky about something.

22. I believe in God, and that Jesus died for my sins.

23. I don't eat meat, and I can't remember ever eating a hamburger.

24. I hate eggs and will only eat them in baked goods.

25. I love chocolate, french fries, a good salad, pasta, Massaman curry, and Indian food (almost anything Indian).

26. I love to cook but I don't do it as much as I'd like to these days. I guess I'm too busy.

27. I eat way too much. I just like food.

28. My espresso beverage of choice during the summer is an iced double tall soy mocha, and in the winter, a double tall nonfat vanilla latte steamed to 135.

29. This pickiness about coffee is probably due to a combination of factors, including being married to Brett, the world's biggest coffee snob, having worked in a coffee shop for 9 months, and having lived in Seattle.

30. Sometimes, I think I'm really lazy at heart.

31. This could be due in part to the fact that my standards for keeping my house clean have plummeted this year, and I hate it. Yet at the same time, I just don't care enough to change the situation and clean.

32. All I want out of life is to be a good wife and someday a good mom.

33. I'd like to write a novel someday, although I suspect that while I have the technical writing skills to do so, I don't have the perseverence or the creativity to follow through.

34. One of my faults is that I'm a notorious people pleaser. I just want people to like me, and I hate that I feel that way but haven't been able to change it thus far.

35. Another fault is my need for perfection, from myself and others.

36. Another fault is that I tend to be waaaay overanxious about things over which I have either no control or very little control.

37. I'm trying to change that these days, but it's not easy.

38. I can read faster than anyone I know, except my dad.

39. I love to ski (downhill), and it's probably the only sport I'm actually good at.

40. I like to knit but as yet have only knit uncomplicated things like scarves, hats and mittens. I haven't been able to summon the courage to do a sweater.

41. I am fluent in French.

42. I majored in Journalism in college.

43. I minored in French.

44. I finished college in 3 years...

45. ...and graduated with honors from the honors program.

46. I really slacked off in the honors program so I'm not sure how I accomplished the whole graduating-with-honors thing.

47. I hate graduations; they are inevitably boring and overly sentimental. I think they're more for the benefit of the parents than the students.

48. Brett is graduating from college the day after my 25th birthday and just shy of 4 years after I graduated from college.

49. I will be so glad when he is done with school.

50. We have 11 mopeds and/or moped frames at our house.

51. Two of them are mine: the Snark and the Yankee Pedlar.

52. The Yankee Ped (as we call it) is a new old-stock moped that we bought with only 80 miles on it. It had sat in someone's garage for 30 years.

53. Someday, I hope to be able to commute on my moped.

54. I would like to have 4 kids.

55. I would like to be a stay-at-home-mom.

56. That way, I could volunteer at the kids' schools, and cook things, and keep my house in order.

57. I have four awesome nieces and nephews -- two nieces, one 8, one 3, and two nephews, one just 5 and one almost 6.

58. I love office supplies and have been known to go overboard buying sticky notes and paper clips.

59. I have several life goals, including learning how to fly a plane...

60. ...learning how to sail a sailboat...

61. ...traveling to all 50 states.

62. I'm about 2/3 of the way through with that goal -- the states I've visited are in red.



63. Many of those were visited on a few road trips we've taken: one 5,000 mile road trip around the West during the summer of 2002, our trip out to Maine, and some trips we've taken since being here -- to Kalamazoo, MI, to Washington D.C., to New York City.

64. I watch three TV shows regularly: CSI (the original!) and Without a Trace, which are both on CBS on Thursday nights, and (my guilty pleasure) the Gilmore Girls, on Tuesdays.

65. My favorite movies include American Splendor, because of the line, "Do Lentils have anything to to with Lent, Toby?" "I don't know, Harvey. I will have to ask Sister Mary Fred."

66. I also love Say Anything with John Cusack and Ione Skye. I can't pick just one quote from this movie; it's too full of good ones.

67. Other favorites include: Office Space, Pulp Fiction, Twin Peaks (not a movie, but it's on DVD, so it counts, right?), Napoleon Dynamite, the Princess Bride, and Meet me in St. Louis.

68. My favorite books are the Lord of the Rings trilogy, by JRR Tolkein (I think I've read them 7 times in the past 5 years) and Each Bright River, by Mildred Masterson McNeilly.

69. I read a lot, maybe two books a week, if I can make myself go to the library.

70. Brett thinks a lot of what I read is junk, but I don't think it is. Just because it has a pink cover doesn't mean it's vapid. (An example of thoughtful, good books with pink covers would be Jennifer Weiner's books.)

71. I think the only two books I actually did all the reading for while I was in college were Thucydides' History of the Peloponnesian War and the selections we were assigned from Michael Polanyi's Personal Knowledge: Towards a Post-Critical Philosophy. Reading the Peloponnesian War was a mistake -- that was one I could have easily skipped. Polanyi, however, I ended up really enjoying.

72. I remember very clearly where I was when I was reading both of these books -- Thucydides, in bed on a rainy fall Sunday afternoon in 210 Marston, and Polanyi, sitting in the skeesy little park next to Pike Place Market, also on a Sunday afternoon, but this one a gorgeous spring afternoon, at sunset, while Brett was in a meeting at work nearby.

73. At the time, Polanyi was very eye opening, and was a glimpse into a world of higher thinking that I hadn't really experienced before. It was one of the most difficult things I read and yet one of the most fascinating.

74. I have lots of pet peeves. I don't like to admit this but it's true.

75. I hate it when people don't use their turn signals. I think this goes back to the time when my mom was teaching me how to drive and every time I forgot to use my blinker, she'd say, "Kathleen, don't forget to indicate your intention."

76. I also hate it when people don't call me back. Especially if it's work-related, and I am waiting on them to finish a story.

77. I become agitated when I see or hear certain forms of poor grammar, and delighted to see things like the sign at the grocery store saying "10 items or fewer" instead of "10 items or less." You can count the items, so you use fewer.

78. I am really a geek at heart.

79. I love to grocery shop.

80. I make up little songs sometimes, to sing for the cat or at Brett. For example, to the tune of Row, Row, Row Your Boat: "You are an Audrey cat/A snug-ly snug-ly caaaat/I like to snuggle you every niiiight/Yes you are my caaaaat."

81. (I told you I was a geek.)

82. I had braces for almost 4 years.

83. I had headgear, and I was the geeky girl who wore it to school. (See, that geek thing again.)

84. My favorite alcoholic drink is a Bombay Sapphire and tonic.

85. My favorite beer is...well...I don't really have one, i guess. Just something fairly light. I like a good amber ale, usually.

86. I really don't like rum. It makes me kind of sick. It's probably because once Brett gave me a drink that I thought was water and it was really clear rum, so I took a big swig of it and almost puked. I was definitely breaking the good ole SPU covenant (click on "Lifestyle Expectations" and see number four) that time.

87. Speaking of rum, I think pirates are funny. Especially these pirates. Arrrrg!

88. I have very vivid dreams at night, and I can usually remember them in some detail.

89. Once I dreamed that my friend Daisy and I were going to stay in a hotel somewhere on the California coast for a girls' weekend, and that the hotel was shaped like an upside down foot, sticking out of the sand. In my dream, Daisy was mad because we got a room in the ankle part of the foot even though she had specifically requested one of the toes.

90. I have never done illegal drugs of any kind.

91. In fact, I try to avoid taking legal drugs unless I have to.

92. I have never smoked anything, not even tobacco.

93. I am somewhat ashamed to say that in the just over two years we've been in Maine, I've had three jobs.

94. I want to be a really good writer. A funny writer. A touching writer. A writer whose works people want to read.

95. I rarely get enough sleep, because I need about 9 hours to feel rested.

96. I have this weird thing about remembering numbers - birthdays, license plates, phone numbers. So if I remember your birthday and you have no idea when mine is, don't feel bad. I'm just weird. Or if I know your license plate by heart, I'm not stalking you. Again, just weird.

97. My favorite thing to do, probably in the whole world, is to snuggle in bed with Brett and Audrey.

98. I am petrified of having someone I love die in some horrible, unexpected way -- a car accident or something. (There's that worry thing again.)

99. I'm cold right now.

100. I'm out of things to say, which is good, seeing as this is the end. Woo! If you made it this far, congratulations. You should get a prize. What's that? Me? Give you one? Oh, nononono. You misunderstand. I said you should get a prize. I didn't say I would give you a prize...Oh, ok. If you insist. After all, you do deserve it after reading 100 things about me. So here you go. I hope chocolate chip cookies will do.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kathleeny,

I loved reading the 100 facts about you...very enlightening.

Much Love,

Annie

Isabel said...

Don't miss Seattle too much right now. This rain in maddening. I am so ready for the summer.

Joel + Sarah said...

Hi Kathleen! Thanks for all that information in list form. So nicely done.

Love,Sarah

Isabel said...

I just (re)read this....I had braces. And now I love everybody that also had braces. Of course I didn't get mine until I was about 27-but I still feel a bond with other brace-faces. Um, and I crochet. But ONLY scarves and hats. We should get together and go buy yarn.