Monday, January 02, 2006

Vacation, lovely vacation, is over

I go back to work tomorrow, after 10 lovely, blissful days off.

You see, the entire company gets the week after Christmas off, since we don't put out any newspapers that week. So for the past 10 days, I've had a small taste of heaven. Sleeping in, spending time with friends, having lunch out with people, not worrying about going to council meetings or writing stories, going to brunch with my husband and then going to the art museum, cooking, keeping my house (relatively) clean, staying in my pajamas all day long, watching the Gilmore Girls on DVD, doing the crossword in bed in the morning, reading the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy in three days, taking baths, taking naps, staying up till 1 a.m. and not caring...aaaah. It's been lovely. I think every company should do this for their employees -- give them a week off, paid, in addition to vacation. It's like having "Christmas break" from school again.

But all good things must come to an end, I guess.

Not that I mind my job. Really, I enjoy it a lot. More than a lot. I just...really like being lazy, it seems.

So, here's to my last few hours of non-work-ness...hurrah for vacation! It feels like I'm in college again, only better, because when I was in college I had to work all break to make money to pay for things during the next semester. So I guess in none of my adult life have I actually had a vacation in which I have been able to stay home and do NOTHING for 10 days. Our so-called "vacations" during the summer (ie, trips to Oregon) are not vacation-y at all, as we are busy rushing from place to place trying to see everyone and sleeping in twin beds in Brett's parents' basement. It's just not very relaxing. But this? This was bliss. I'll treasure the memory of my vacation for many weeks to come, I am sure.

It was the best Christmas present they could have given me, I think.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are one blessed girl. I am glad you had a little taste of Heaven for Christmas.

Tiffany said...

Oh that sounds just lovely! I'm highly jealous.