Saturday, March 25, 2006

the curious incident of the poorly-placed oven bags. Or, why Kathleen shouldn't be allowed to drive a shopping cart.

This afternoon, I was walking through the grocery store, minding my own business. I was coming up an aisle and I started to turn right, when out of the corner of my eye I saw a display on a nearby endcap showing Annie's Mac and Cheese on sale.

I looked over at the Annie's, and continued to push my cart in the opposite direction I was looking, as I thought whether I should get some or not.

I felt my cart nudge something.

I looked over, and everything started going in slow motion, as a cardboard display of foil oven bags started to teeter.

As the display fell over, I said, "Oh, sh*t!!!"

And I looked up to see a young-ish mom pushing her toddler in a cart, standing right there.

I managed to choke out, between giggles, "I'm so sorry!! I didn't mean to say the s-word!"

She said, "That's ok," and started to laugh.

We both stood there for a minute, cracking up.

I said, "I should take a picture!"

She said, "Want me to take one of you in it?"

I said, "Yeah...well, no, that's ok. This will do."

She continued on down the aisle, and I took this.

The offending cart, and the stupid oven bags that were not placed in a very good spot, given the narrowness of the aisle and the large size of the grocery carts at this particular grocery retailer

I tried to put it back together, but I couldn't figure it out, and I didn't want to do more damage than I'd already done, so I just set the bottom part upright and continued on my way. I had to walk back down that aisle later, since in my embarassment and cracking-up-ness I had forgotten to get olive oil. The display was just as I left it. I wonder how long it will take for someone to notice it is on the floor?

At least I didn't knock over a wine display, like my sister did once. Thank the Lord for small blessings, anyway.

7 comments:

C said...

LMAO!

C said...

LMAO!!!

Tiffany said...

LOL, well thank goodness no one was harmed during your recklessness. ;)

Teddy said...

I'll be sure to stay out of the grocery store while you are shopping ;P

Karen said...

Ha ha! It could have been worse - I was expecting to see boxes scattered everywhere. Thank goodness it was a fairly small display. =P

Shawna said...

For some reason, that story made me think of that car you drove in high school. The big red thing. And listening to Cake in the CMBC parking lot...weird.

Kyt said...

LMAO. Leen + shopping cart + Annie's = hilarity!