Saturday, April 15, 2006

a plea

I think most everyone knows by now that I'm going to France this summer, as a staff member on a trip with SPU. (For those of you who don't know, it's a month long, from July 12 to August 15. The first half of that is spent in Honfleur, in Normandy, and the second half spent in a town called Uzes, near Avignon in Southern France. I'll be helping with French speaking, translation, etc, and acting as an additional chaperone.) I'm completely thrilled and I can't wait. When life gets hard lately, I just imagine myself here, sitting by the pool and reading. That's where we are staying in Uzes.

Anyway, another amazing part about this is that Brett is more than welcome to come for the first half. Brett has never been out of the country, to anywhere but Canada. I really, really, really want him to be able to come.

We realized that we have enough airmiles for a plane ticket, too, thanks to our Alaska Airlines credit card, and the multiple flights back to the Pacific Northwest over the past few years. Again -- another blessing.

Oh, and did I mention that we would be there together over our third wedding anniversary?

Yeah. So perfect.

Except we can't get a reservation using airmiles to save our lives. AUGH!!!

The explanation the airline people are giving me makes sense, I guess, but that doesn't make it any easier to deal with.

Apparently what's happened is that the airlines release a set number of mileage plan tickets for each flight 330 days before that flight. And apparently there are people just waiting to pounce on said tickets.

People like us, who wait until (*gasp*) three months before the trip, are apparently out of luck.

I've called repeatedly, as the reservation agents have suggested, in case anything changes. And things have changed, every time I've called. The first time, there was nothing within three days of the dates we wanted him to leave and come back. The second time, we could get him there, but not home, and this time, tonight, there was NOTHING either way.

So, here is where the plea comes in.

I really, really, really, really want Brett to be able to come. (I know I said that before but it's the truth.) He's never eaten a real tarte au citron, or walked through a European marketplace, or seen a 14th century cathedral, or been to see the Louvre, or any of that. I want him to experience that, and I want to experience that with him!

If any of you readers have any advice about this, about how to get him a ticket using airmiles (we absolutely cannot afford to pay for a ticket outright; they're running around $1200 right now), or if you have any connections with either Alaska Airlines (who our miles are through) or any of its European partner airlines...please! HELP! Any good advice you can give would be welcome...and in lieu of advice, your prayers, good thoughts, and lots of crossed fingers that we'll be able to get him a ticket would be awesome, too.

No comments: