Tuesday, May 09, 2006

the lattes are sooooo good here...

I don't even know where to start...

I'm still in Seattle; right now I am sitting in the gorgeous and fantastic Seattle Public Library, which wasn't finished when we lived here before. It's really cool, and I can't wait to come here. It's right across the street from where I'll most likely be working...but more on that later.

Anyway. I fly back to Maine tonight, and will arrive at 6 a.m. tomorrow into Boston. I'll then take a bus back to Maine and Brett will pick me up at 10 a.m. My in-laws will then arrive at 4:30 p.m. That evening I am going with Brett and his parents to see Jon Shain play at Chicky's, which should be fun. And then it's graduation goodness for a few days, and then I'll be in major packing mode.

So, that's what the next few weeks look like for me.

Ok, now about the trip.

I can't even describe how amazing it feels to be here, to be home. So many amazing things have happened over the past few days. I don't have much time left on this library computer, but I'll do the best I can.

It was wonderful to see my mom, and I have also been able to see several good friends. I was able to sit down with my journalism professor for a while and chat (he was completely thrilled I stopped by). I'm hoping to see some more of my old profs today.

Also, in the flukiest fluke ever, I have run into two families I used to regularly babysit for.

One of them had been on my mind a ton lately, but the email address I had for them was bad, and I googled the dad and found his work email but never sent one there. Anyway, I was talking about them to my mom all day on Friday, about how I really needed to call them.

Well, my mom and I were at an intersection in Ballard (a completely different neighborhood than they live in) and I SAW THEM!!! I jumped out of the car and screamed the mom's name. Her mouth dropped open and she yelled, "OH MY GOD!" It was fantastic. So now I have their info and they have mine and we're going to get together when I get back here permanently.

Also, I signed a lease this morning on a 1 bedroom apartment in Ballard. My mom and I had seen two, both of which we liked a lot. One of them was bigger than the other, not in as great of a location (still the same distance from the library and the neighborhood's downtown but not near our friends), and more expensive. We liked that but then we saw another apartment, literally a block from some of Brett's best friends from the Moped Army. (Whom we later saw in front of their house as we were driving by...again, another kind of random sighting of some friends.)

There were 2 available in that building, one upstairs and one downstairs. The upstairs one wasn't very nice, but the guy on the phone when we called said they wouldn't consider renting the newly-remodeled downstairs one to us b/c we have a cat. The guy said he was sending his rental agent over to meet us at the apartment. Well, the rental agent drove up, and it turned out to be a good friend from college!!! After we saw the upstairs apt -- which was gross -- we decided we didn't want it.

My friend called back an hour later and said that they would offer us the downstairs apartment anyway, and that they would knock $50/mo off the rent if we'll sweep the common areas (which are not big at all) and keep our eyes peeled for maintainance issues. The apartment is a lot smaller than the first one, but I think we can make it work for a year or so since it's cheaper and we like the location. It is remodeled, has 10 units, and is pretty cute, AND it has a dishwasher!!!! There's onsite laundry, free storage, and free parking. Plus, it's only 8 blocks from the library, the grocery store, coffee shops, a movie theater, a drugstore, etc, 2 blocks from the bus stop, about a 25-20 min walk to church (5 mins on a bus), and like not even a full block from our moped friends. You can see their driveway from the driveway of this building.

So, that left us free to play on Saturday. We went shopping downtown, and my mom got me some adorable shoes at Nordstrom for my birthday, and then my mom and I went to one of my favorite restaurants for dinner.

Sunday, we went to church, which was great, and I got to see several friends there. After church I got a haircut (finally!) and my mom went back home to Portland.

Yesterday, I interviewed with two temp agencies, both of which said they would be able to give me work if I need it when I get back, and had lunch and then went window shopping with my friend Minda, which was so very much fun.

While we were in Anthropologie, one of my favorite stores ever, we ran into the mom of the OTHER family I used to nanny for!!!! And, she and her family are living five blocks from us this summer, while they are having an addition put onto their house. HOW COOL! I swear, you'd think Seattle wasn't a big city the way I'm running into people!

This morning, I interviewed for a job working for the company I worked for before I moved out here. It is similar to what I was doing before (commercial property management in a downtown skyscraper) and working with a lot of the same people. As of right now, if the property manager can work some things out timing-wise, it should work for him to hire me -- even though I'm going to France for a month!!!

I think I need to buy a MegaMillions ticket or something with the luck I'm having this week.

So, everything is great. I absolutely love being here. This is so cheesy, but I was standing downtown at a bus stop yesterday, waiting for the bus, looking at people, and listening to The Postal Service on my iPod and I teared up. I just can't believe that our time in Maine is over and that I can come home. I don't feel a sense of belonging anywhere else like I do here. It is so wonderful being here; I can't even describe it.

Well, I need to go meet my friend Bree and then hang out...I'll update more when I get home!

3 comments:

Kris said...

Yay for finding a place and possibly some jobs! I'm glad your time at home was so productive. Let's get together before you leave this horrid state =)

**lauren** said...

hurrah! everything is falling into place perfectly!.....except that fact that your LEAVING! ;-) i'm glad it was such a succesful trip for you!

Isabel said...

Hooray for Seattle!

I love, love the library. We got there a few times a week.

Sounds like things are going well for you. That's great...