Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Portions of an actual conversation overheard on the 5:25 #17 bus from downtown to Ballard last week:

On the bus. A woman who appears to be in her mid-30's talks on her cell phone. She wears a pin-striped blouse, brown pants, black ankle-height pleather boots, and a brown vinyl parka tied around her waist. She carries a black canvas bag with a Looney Toons screen print on the front. Her long hair is layered, and slightly stringy. Her complexion is bad; her face, pockmarked. Her voice is nasally. We come into the conversation in the middle, as it appears it has been going on long before we boarded the bus...

Woman: You nohw how I used to drink light beer?

~~~~~~

Woman: Yeah, well, now I drink, like, Ahhmber or something. It's got a nice tang to it, you nohw?

~~~~~~

Woman: No, I don't like anything dark, like Guinness? Gahd, I haaate that.

~~~~~~

Woman: Uhhh, nyeahp.

~~~~~~

Woman: Cha, well, you know I'm going to Hollywood, right?

~~~~~~

Woman: Cha, I'm going to Hollywood.

~~~~~~

Woman: When am I going to Hollywood? In September, for Labor Day.

~~~~~~

Woman: I'm going to HOLlywood with Sara and Ann Marie and Beth.

~~~~~~

Woman: Well, since I'm going to HOLLYwood, I'm not buying a separate ticket or taking more time off to come to San Diego to see you. I can just see you when I'm in Hollywood.

~~~~~~

Woman: No, I'm not taking any leave to go down to Hollywood.

~~~~~~

Woman: [sighs, as the bus sits 6 cars back, waiting to get on the Ballard bridge. This time of day, the line is usually backed up 1/2 a mile. 6 cars is nothing.] Traffic is a BEAR Right now.

~~~~~~

Woman: [with her long, layered, stringy hair over her face like a toddler might put it to play with it, as she examines her fingernails with their chipping paint] God, I can't hear you. Are you out in the wind?

~~~~~~

Woman: Ok, nyah, well, I'll talk to you later then. Ok. Bye.

2 comments:

rebecca said...

My dear Kathleenie,

I'm loving your new template, but on my screen, it shows up with all of the stuff on the right hand side first, and then once that's down listing out stuff, the actual posts show up. Not sure if you care or if it makes a difference, but just thought I'd tell ya.

I want to also let you know that I'm quite jealous of you being back in Seattle. Every posting you make, I can actually "see" where you're doing and I miss it like crazy. Don't get me wrong -- I love Colorado -- so many things to do and it's just different than being next to the water.

Anyway... I still have my 206 area code cell phone, so call me when you get a moment and we should chat. I would love to hear how work is going and all of the good stuff.

I have a friend that lives up on Fremont Ave, but I can't remember the cross street... :( I should hook you two up -- sounds like you could be close.

isabel said...

Someone needs to write a book about all the crap they hear on a Metro bus. That stuff is crazy!