Friday, September 01, 2006

I've been tagged!

Carolyn has tagged both Lisa and me for a book meme! This is my first-ever meme, so I'm pretty excited about that.

I've always loved to read. When I was a little girl, my mom would get upset because I read so much. I would rather have stayed in the library to read than go outside for recess, and I would stay up really late reading by the light of my night light so I could finish up the book I was working on. So, this meme is quite appropriate!

Here goes...

You're stuck inside Fahrenheit 451; which book do you want to be?
Like at the end, when everyone memorizes one book? Hm...that is a hard question. Maybe The Fellowship of the Ring. That's a tough one, though.

Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character?
Oh yes. Aragorn (in LOTR) (see, I am a geek; I call it LOTR, plus I mention it in three of the seven questions in this meme) or Curt Fletcher in Each Bright River. Shh, don't tell -- I still kind of have a crush on both of them...

The last book you bought was...
Le Journal Secret de Laura Palmer: Mystères à Twin Peaks. I found it in a market in France for one Euro...it's basically a spin-off book from the Twin Peaks series that apparently got turned into French. It's like Laura's secret diary. Totally weird and random, especially considering that Twin Peaks isn't even that well-known here. I can't imagine it would be that well-known in France!

The last book you read was...
The Champion, a cheesy romance/historical fiction novel by Elizabeth Chadwick.

Currently reading...
Lord Peter, by Dorothy L. Sayers. It's a collection of all the Lord Peter Wimsey short stories ever published. I love the Lord Peter Wimsey novels, so it's fun to read the short stories and get a bigger picture of how Dorothy L. Sayers pictured him.

Five books you'd take to a deserted island...
1.) The Bible -- I wouldn't want to be anywhere long-term without my Bible.
2.) The Lord of the Rings, by J.R.R. Tolkien -- Yes, this counts as one book! That is how Tolkien originally intended it to be published. As to why, it is one of my all-time favorite books that I can read over and over again.
3.) Each Bright River, by Mildred Masterson McNeilly -- A really random book from the 1950's about a girl from South Carolina who comes to the Oregon Country (and later goes to Washington State). I have loved this book since I was young, and it is one I can read over and over again.
4.) A Prayer for Owen Meany, by John Irving -- This story is so rich. The characters are so well-developed I feel that they are real people, living and breathing on the earth.
5.) Kate's Book, by Mary Francis Shura -- This was one of my all-time favorite books as a young girl. I'd bring it just for the memories it would call to mind.

Who are you going to pass the stick to, and why?
Bree, because I know she loves books too, and Jamila, because she was the first person to pop into my head when I thought of someone who would be great at a book meme, even though I know she might not get a chance to get to it anytime soon since she just had baby Zachary.

2 comments:

Isabel said...

I tried to read A Prayer for Owen Meany once and just couldn't get through it. I suck.

But I do love books. Too bad having a baby has taken all my free time.

Joel said...

I believe you mean...baby CACHARY!