Wednesday, March 21, 2007

surviving, and RIP Mikey

On top of everything else, yesterday Brett's parents called to tell us that his childhood kitty, Mikey, had died. He had been sick for a long time with the feline form of HIV. I cried when Brett told me. He was a Maine Coon Cat, and at his largest weighed about 30 pounds, although he lost a lot of weight while he was sick. He was HUGE, but always super sweet and snuggly. He would sit in Brett's arms and put his paws (which had an extra digit, like a thumb) around Brett's neck and nuzzle and lick and nibble Brett's ears. He had a squeaky little meow and always said hello if you said hello to him, and if he was in the garage or yard when you pulled up into their driveway he'd run out and greet you.

In recent years, my in-laws' dog Dylan became good friends with Mikey, and they shared a pet bed with each other and would groom each other. When Mikey got really sick yesterday, Dylan laid right next to him in the bathroom while Mikey was throwing up.

I have lots of memories with Mikey. The first time I ever told Brett I loved him was when he was really upset in high school (he was arguing with his family) and lying in his bed with Mikey and me. Brett said, with a characteristic high school melodromatic air, "Nobody but Mikey loves me." And I said, "I do." Brett said, "What did you say?" And I said, "Mikey isn't the only one who loves you -- I love you, too."

Here are a couple of photos. The first is of Dylan and Mikey grooming each other.

And this is of Brett, I believe at Thanksgiving, playing with Dylan and snuggling Mikey.

RIP, Mikey-cat.

Other than Mikey's death, I'm getting by day-by-day. Some days (like yesterday) are worse than others, and some (like today) I feel ok. I do still feel weepy all the time, and as my friend Zoe pointed out, that is probably parly due to emotions but also partly due to wacky hormone levels. Kinda sucks to have the hormones still affecting me and yet not be pregnant.

Again, thanks for your comments, emails, prayers, and messages. They really do mean a lot. I'm trying to email back as quickly as I can.

Work is overwhelmingly busy, but I must confess that despite mountains of things to do, I am having trouble concentrating. Not surprising, I guess, but I need to get through a lot of this stuff and I just can't focus.

Like I mentioned in my previous post, I had a great time with C while she was here. Photos and a recap are forthcoming.

So, away I go to tackle my mountain of work! Here's to hoping it diminishes quickly!

1 comment:

Isabel said...

What sweet memories and pictures. Thanks for sharing.

I hope you continue to heal and feel better.