Saturday, April 28, 2007

of grocery carts, refrigerators, and freezers

When we go to the grocery store, Brett and I always love to gawk at what other shoppers have in their carts. We think you can tell a lot about a person by what he or she buys. For instance, it's easy to spot the bachelor by virtue of the fact that he has several frozen dinners, a loaf of white bread, and beer. Or the mom of young kids by the string cheese, fruit snacks, and juice boxes. Or the widowed elderly person by the canned vegetables, two bananas, and box of muffins.

Last fall, I saw this post by Isabel (which she based off of this post by Kerrianne). It's a spinoff on the cart thing: not only do you get to see what people buy and eat, but you also get to see how they store it, which is just another indicator of their personality. I wanted to do my own fridge post back then but I never got around to it until today.

So, after our Safeway.com grocery delivery came this morning, I decided to take the photos and write this post. (I also cleaned all the old tupperware out of the fridge...usually there are about 7 tupperware containers with food at various degrees on the leftover chain -- ranging from "Ok, I can eat this," to "WTF was that, anyway?" So then, if I'm right and the contents of one's refrigerator reveal something about that person, then I guess this means that outwardly, I am worried about what people think of me, but inwardly, I'm really lazy about cleaning out the fridge.)

Anyway, without further ado, here is my fridge!

The outside:
Clearly, there's a lot going on here. I tried to label some things, but it was hard to read the labels because they blended in with the pictures. Some fun highlights are:
  • In the upper left-hand corner is a photo of us on our first date (my senior prom!) eight years ago next week.
  • The photobooth photos are fun, too. The ones that have been cut up were taken in Seaside, OR on 1/1/00. The long strip that isn't cut were taken in the very same booth on our honeymoon in August 2003.
  • The one of me in a graduation gown with my mom (in the red shirt) in the center was taken at SPU's Ivy Cutting in June 2002. (I can't believe it's been FIVE YEARS since I graduated from college!)
  • The black rectangle at the very top on the right is Brett's sister's Save the Date, featuring a photo taken by Brett! To the left of that is the Save the Date for Brett's cousin.
There are lots of other fun ones. I'm kind of anal about putting pics on the fridge. Weird, I know, but I like to have every family member (and nearly all of our good friends) represented. It makes me happy to look at it.

The freezer:
I can't wait until we get a house or something so I can have a huge stand-alone freezer, wherein I can store lots of yummy things. Probably including a ton of ice cream, if this picture is any indication. (Ok, I should note that of the...um...five? Six? I don't know. Anyway, of the multiple ice cream containers in there, most of them are nearly empty and probably just need to be thrown away due to freezer burn and the like.)

The inside of the fridge: I promise, it will not stay organized like this.

So there you have it. And here is my question for you: If I'm right, and what you buy and how you store it does reflect your personality, what does my fridge say about me?

3 comments:

Kris said...

I think it says you're healthy. There's lots of good stuff in there... the ice cream isn't so healthy, but we all need something sinful, right?

I liked this post a lot! Hope you guys are doing well.

Isabel said...

Fun stuff. I love all the pictures.

(and don't you just love safeway.com? I do!)

sara fincher said...

Love the diagram of the inside of your fridge!!! how Kathleen :)