Monday, April 16, 2007

randomness

Oh goodness. It's been way too long since I posted last! The past 10 days have flown by, which is a good thing, I suppose.

I don't really have too much to say. Life is still very up and down. There have been some really good, much more back-to-normal days in the past couple of weeks, and some really bad, dark days mixed in as well. I hope those are getting to be fewer and farther between. They seem to be, anyway. (This said, of course, from my perspective today, which is a relatively good day.)

Oddly enough, after my first burst of sharing everything about what happened, I am feeling much more withdrawn about it, at least here. And that's weird. At first it seemed like I couldn't go on without everyone knowing what happened. Now, I feel really vulnerable and uncertain about how much to share about my emotions. Maybe it's that the numbness is wearing off and I'm starting to come to terms with things. I don't know.

In other news, I did our taxes on Saturday, which took far, far too long. I posted a couple of years ago about my Kafka-esque experience trying to consolidate my student loans. Well, dealing with TurboTax (more like Slow-as-Molasses-in-January Tax, but whatever) yesterday was kind of like that. Because of an error with the State of Maine tax forms, it took four hours of re-entering the same information over, and over, and over again until it worked.

Thankfully, I finally got it to work. The best news is that we are getting a really nice refund!!! We will be able to pay off all of our smaller debts and also one credit card. I'm really, really happy about this.

The debt we incurred while living in Maine was horrible. I wrote about some of those issues about a year ago. Since we've been back, we had just been treading water in terms of paying off our debt since Brett didn't have a steady job. But now, with this tax return to help us jump start things, and with his steady income, there is actually an end in sight!! I can see the light at the end of the tunnel where this debt is concerned!

We are paying down our balances, paying off small debts, and saving money for emergencies. We aren't using credit. We are able to pay all of our bills on time. We can buy groceries without adding up the total as we go because we only have so many dollars in the checking account. We can go out to dinner and not worry about it. I can get a manicure. Brett can buy moped parts.

It feels so, so, so good to be at this place again. So good.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Thanks for your comments on my blog. I am sorry you miscarried too. The rollercoaster of emotions is wearing on me, I am sure you understand that feeling well.

If you would like a good resource on paying off debt, check out daveramsey.com. We paid off all our credit cards and 2 school loans using his methods. We still have 1 more school loan to go.

Rachel =)