Monday, May 07, 2007

congratulations!

I just got a call from one of my best friends, Daisy, for whom I threw a baby shower back in January. She called to say that she had her little baby girl yesterday.

The delivery sounds like it was rough, but despite sounding absolutely exhausted, Daisy sounds so happy. She said that the baby was sitting in her arms, asleep, while we were talking.

The image brings tears to my eyes, and I'm not sure why. It's not necessarily a sad type of tearing-up, more just that there is so much (happy) emotion welling up in me that it has nowhere else to go but out my eyes.

I am so, so happy for her. She will be an incredible mom, and her husband will make such a great dad.

It's a little bizarre to think that Daisy, the girl with whom I was randomly paired as a freshman roommate, the girl who has become one of my lifelong friends, the girl with whom I have shared more than almost anyone else alive, this girl is a mom.

That image seems so far away from when we first met, almost eight years ago. We stayed up late the first week of class, putting glow-in-the-dark stars on our ceiling (which, of course, all fell down the following morning -- we called it our own personal meteor shower), inventing the Information Superhighway (a string strung between our window and Joel & Nathan's window below, on which we'd send messages back and forth).

We'd stay up almost all night sometimes, laughing our heads off at random things (Me: "Yeah, they give you free beef at Les Schwab if you get your tires changed." Her: "Wait. So if you get new tires they give you a hunk of cow?!"), laughing so loud that we annoyed our next door neighbors to the point that they banged on the wall for us to shut up (uh, sorry Sarah!).

We would skip class for silly reasons: to take a nap, to go buy Converse, or to shop for bathing suits downtown. We put a window box outside our window, and filled it with hyacinth, sweet peas, and tulips. We went to see Elliott Smith together, and Tori Amos, and The Pilfers. We would sit in our room and listen to Death Cab for Cutie and Google (or did we even Google then? I think this was pre-Google.) random and inappropriate things in the days before SPU had a web filter.

Daisy left SPU after her sophomore year. Since then, despite living in opposite parts of the country, we have managed to see each other at least once a year -- a huge feat, considering neither of us has a ton of extra cash to be dropping on plane tickets.

Daisy was my rock at my wedding. She kept me sane when the programs got screwed up and I was screaming at the guy in Kinko's at 11 p.m. two days before my wedding, when the tuxes didn't arrive on time and I was bawling the morning of the wedding, and when we royally screwed up another bridesmaid's dress and were frantically trying to fix it just hours before the wedding.

At her wedding, I'd like to think I helped her like she helped me. Corralling bridesmaids, handing out placecareds, gluing programs, making punch, and laughing as Daisy, another bridesmaid, and I took turns pushing each other up and down the halls of the hotel on the luggage cart.

I am so thankful that I have a friend like Daisy, someone with whom I know I will stay close as our lives change and evolve through different phases -- college, bachelorettehood, marriage, and now parenthood and beyond. It's a great and wonderful feeling to have a friend like that!

I'm so, so happy for you two, Daisy. Congratulations, Mama!

No comments: