Friday, May 11, 2007

sometimes, being a vegetarian sucks

Being a vegetarian has its drawbacks, the major one being that at any group event involving eating, I usually get the shaft.

Weddings and potulcks are generally pretty bad, although I can usually find something to fill me up. Chicken or Beef? Um, no thanks. I'll just eat this roll here, and maybe that salad over there. And also two servings of dessert.

So I manage at weddings and potlucks. I don't usually get what I want, but I don't usually leave hungry, either. Office parties are generally the worst, though.

For instance, while we lived in Maine, there was one staff lunch where (literally) the only thing there I could eat was potato chips. Everyone knew I was a vegetarian -- and yet no one thought to tell me, "Hey, you might wanna bring a salad." I sat down with a plate full of plain chips, sour cream and onion chips, and barbeque chips -- and the worst part was that the only person who noticed the contents of my plate was my friend and co-worker Susan. We had a good laugh about it in the car on the way back to our office, but at the time, I was pissed off and embarrased and hungry.

Or, there was the time earlier this year when we ordered Mexican food for lunch. I had ordered a special bean burrito -- the only veggie entree we'd gotten, because most of our employees scream if you offer them anything other than a big slab of meat with a side of meat sauce. I got stuck at my desk for a few minutes at the beginning of the lunch, and by the time I got upstairs, someone had eaten my entire lunch.

Again, I ate chips for lunch, only that time they were the slightly-more-appealing corn variety.

And then there was today. We had lunch for me at work, in honor of my birthday, which is Sunday. I had requested Indian food, which I think weirded a lot of people out. It was too exotic for most of my co-workers; at least, that was the impression they gave.

Anyway, I have been looking forward to my favorite, favorite dish -- Aloo Mutter -- all. week. long. Seriously, every day I have wanted Aloo Mutter and every day I have told myself, "Just wait until Friday. Then you'll get Aloo Mutter and naan and all kinds of other Indian goodies."

You can see where this is going, can't you?

The ONE EFFING DISH the restaurant didn't put in with our order? Not one of the two orders of chicken tikka, or the chicken briyani, or the lamb curry...oh, no. It was my fucking Aloo Mutter. I really, seriously had to fight back the tears when we realized it wasn't in there. I managed to hold it together only because my co-worker Andrew felt so bad that my lunch got skipped. Again. On the day of my birthday lunch.

So I ate what I guess must be the Indian version of chips for lunch: about one whole piece of naan. And a little rice. And half a samosa.

It was a sad, sad day.

At least one of my co-workers had gone and gotten chocolate fudge cake and also strawberry cheesecake for dessert. He seriously saved the day.

I guess next time we have a staff lunch I am either going to a.) insist on going with whoever picks up the food and checking that my order is there, and correct or b.) bring something. Because I just can't seem to win when it comes to eating in group settings.

No comments: