Monday, July 23, 2007

updates and big news

I know, I know, I've really been MIA this time. I'm sorry. I think this might be one of my longest hiatuses (hiati? I have no idea.), and I do apologize. I have a good reason, but I'll get to that in a minute.

First, an update on my sister. She is doing better, finally. It's been a long two months for her, but in the past two weeks, she's FINALLY been able to get out of the house a bit. They're ramping back her pain meds, and she's even considering starting back to work for one or two four-hour shifts in the next couple of weeks. Hooray! This is a huge blessing considering that since I last posted, things got a little better, then a lot worse (with her back in the hospital) and now, finally better again. We're really thankful she's doing better.

We're gearing up for Brett's sister Amy's wedding this weekend. Yahoo! Very exciting. This is much-anticipated, as Amy has been dating her fiancé Seth for almost five years. They make a great couple and I am so very excited for them. We leave on Wednesday night to head to Portland and join in the wedding festivities. I can't wait!

And now, the big update, and the reason I haven't really been posting much: I'm 14 weeks pregnant, due January 18.

I've been really, really sick, like puking-all-day-OMG-I'm-going-to-die-I-can't-even-get-out-of-bed-let-alone-update-my-blog sick. Thankfully, that seems to have abated somewhat in the past couple of weeks, since I've hit the second trimester, (although I did throw up for the first time in two weeks this morning, ruining my longest no-puking streak to date) but it doesn't mean I am not still exhausted and drained all. the. time.

At first, I wanted to tell everyone as soon as we found out, but Brett convinced me to wait, and now I'm so glad he did. Having the time of just the two of us knowing was really good, I think. It gave us time to absorb what was happening, to get past that 9w3d mark (which is when I miscarried last time), and to feel a little more confident before we started telling everyone.

We told our families about a month ago, which was really fun. I pasted copies of the ultrasound photo on a pretty card and wrote, "Coming January 18, 2008" on the top. They are all very, very excited. Brett's sisters win for the best reaction: they started screaming and jumping up and down and hugging me. It was great.

I wound up telling at work much sooner than I would have liked, simply because I was so sick that I couldn't come up with any more viable excuses about why I was missing work yet again. The cat keeps coming further and further out of the bag in terms of who knows, and after Amy's wedding this weekend, I expect it to be fully out of the bag. (My bridesmaid dress makes me look nice and pregnant -- not fat!)

Having so many people know is exciting but also a bit scary for me. Every time we tell someone else, the thought flashes through my mind, "Just one more person to tell if something goes wrong."

I try to push those thoughts aside and focus on the good:

  • We had a fantastic ultrasound at 7 weeks, with everything measuring right on target
  • We heard the heartbeat at 12 weeks
  • I'm really, really, really sick

Well, whether that last one is good or not is debatable, I guess, but at any rate, it is reassuring. As a measure of how sick I've been, I offer this evidence: between our first appointment at 7 weeks and the second one at 12 weeks, I lost almost 8 pounds, none of which I've gained back in the two weeks since my last appointment. Yeah. Yikes. This coming from me, who has not been able to lose any weight in about 2 years. (I don't recommend this diet plan, by the way. It works, but boy, it's not fun.)

So, that's about it. Our lives these days are kind of slow-paced. I don't have the energy to do a whole lot (much to Brett's dismay), but that's just how it is. I did have a burst of energy on Saturday, which prompted me to clean the whole house (it took an embarrassingly long time, considering how small our apartment is), walk a mile each way to the store, make a big dinner, and make a cake for dessert. I paid for all that expended energy yesterday, though, when I was so tired and sore I could barely move. I think that overdoing it Saturday also has some bearing on my broken puke-free streak today, too.

I'm just hoping that I get another burst of energy to get me through this weekend of wedding excitement. If I had to pick one week in my pregnancy that I want to feel good, this is it. I really want to be able to enjoy every minute of it. We shall see...hopefully I'm lucky.

Anyway, if I'm not too comatose after the wedding, I'll try to post again then, with photos and updates. I am really very excited for this weekend and all that it entails: seeing family and friends we haven't seen since our own wedding, spending time with Brett's sisters, and getting to share in Seth and Amy's special day. I can't wait!

7 comments:

Kris said...

Kathleen this news is wonderful, both about your sister and about a baby! We've been praying for you and your sisiter. What a wonderful answer to prayer! Best of luck through the rest of your pregnancy and we'll be praying your sister continues to improve. ((HUG))

DMB said...

What a very happy time for you and your family!! :) Soak up every minute of it! :)

D

rebecca said...

Kathleenie -- We'll be praying for you that everything goes smoothly and wonderfully! :)

We're excited for you!!

Isabel said...

I'm so excited that The News it out.

Glad you are starting to feel better. And so glad that your sister is also feeling better.

Have fun at the wedding. I expect loads of pictures when you get back.

Rachel said...

Congratulations! I have been checking your blog for updates and took you off my favorites yesterday morning. Then today I just happened across it again. I am glad you are back and I hope you get to feeling better soon!

Kandace said...

Kathleen, congrats! I'm so happy for you. Hang in there, and pretty soon you'll be feeling better. Or at least I've heard that's how it works. All the best.

sara fincher said...

YAY!!! How exciting!!! Congratulations!!!