Monday, August 20, 2007

goodbye, and an update

I've talked about our friends Caleb and Marci here before, although I don't think I've mentioned that they are moving from Seattle to Rhode Island for Caleb to go to grad school. (In fact, it's their [now former] house that we'll be moving into in a couple of weeks...) They left town today, loaded into a big Penske truck for their cross-country drive. (Boy, do I know how that feels!)

Well, I had to say goodbye to them last night, and it was really hard. They're the ones whose house we are moving into, the ones we met in Maine, the ones who had a miscarriage too, the ones we called the night of our miscarriage who sat in the hospital with us and cried with us, the ones who got us into mopeds in the first place, the ones who are among our best couple friends, the ones where the husband is one of Brett's close friends -- they've done art shows together, built mopeds together, had coffee dates together...
We went to church with them last night, and Marci and I and their roommate Meg all cried from the end of the sermon right through the last 30 minutes of church, and then afterward. When Marci and I looked at each other and realized we had to actually say the goodbye we'd been putting off and dreading for months, both of us started crying again as we held each other, prayed for each other, and said how much we love each other. I am feeling teary just thinking about them leaving town today, not knowing when I'll see them again.
We have been through so much with them and I just love them so much. I am going to miss them beyond what words can say.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ok, so, on a more cheerful note, here's an update on me! I have been feeling better this week than I have in...well, this entire pregnancy, basically!

PRAISE GOD!!! I am really convinced that it's my gallbladder that's giving me trouble, because all week I've been careful to really watch my fat and refined flour intake, and I've felt good. Really good, suspiciously good -- so good that there were times I could forget I was pregnant! What convinces me that it's my gallbladder is this: yesterday my mom and Brett and I went out for breakfast. All the restaurant had on their brunch menu that I like is pancakes and hash browns -- probably two of the very worst things I could eat.

Well, I paid for it big-time later last night. After I woke up from an afternoon nap, I felt horrible -- pretty much like I have felt this entire pregnancy so far: queasy, nauseous, refluxy, uncomfortable. I even had to get up during church last night and go to the bathroom to take a Zofran because I was afraid I would throw up otherwise.

Anyway, I feel much more normal today, so that to me is a clear indication that my meal on Sunday was a really bad choice, and that it's the fatty/refined foods giving me so much trouble.

Also fun is that the baby is dancing around like crazy in there today! The movements get more and more perceptible every day. I cannot wait for Brett to feel them! We've been sitting in bed at night with his hand on my stomach for long stretches of time, trying to feel something...anything. So far, all he's felt are gasses moving around and also my pulse. Heh.

My mom was up this past weekend to help us get ready to move. We got a lot packed, nearly the whole kitchen as well as the remainder of our substantial library, so that feels really good. We're making good progress, and now that Caleb and Marci are gone, I'm just ready to move in. I have a post half-written about the new house...I'll finish it soon; I promise.

It was fun to have my mom here. We were able to relax and have some fun in the midst of working hard. Our fun included three total trips to two different Targets (where my mom bought me this! Her first purchase for the baby -- VERY fun!!) as well as fantastic massages at an amazing spa downtown. My favorite part of the spa experience was the shower room -- there were at least 6-8 jets spraying me from all different directions, including from above. It was the most relaxing and wonderful shower I've ever had. If I am rich someday, I am totally making my bathroom like that!

Dinner is almost ready (brown rice and lima beans roasted with garlic and herbs...mmm...it makes me sad that Brett doesn't like this dish anymore; it's one of my favorites) so I am going to wrap up. Yay -- I am actually hungry, and I'm going to actually eat!!! HOORAY!

3 comments:

C said...

Hooray for feeling better!

Kris said...

Glad you're feeling better. Hope Brett gets to feel baby soon!

Rachel said...

I am glad you have pinpointed the problem. Now you just have to remember what you can and can't eat.

I feel bad for you that your close friends are moving. We have some friends that close to us, if they ever consider moving, we'll have to consider it as well.