Friday, August 10, 2007

Since you asked...

This post is for my friend Kris, who requested belly pics.
One of my major complaints about my body has always been my belly. Not the fact that I have always had a pooch (I don't really care about that; curviness doesn't bother me), rather, it's the shape of said pooch that has always bugged me.
You see, for as long as I can remember, I've had a double belly. I even recall a particular entry to my diary/journal when I was probably about 14 where I drew the shape of my double belly to document my dissatisfaction.
Basically, the double belly is this: a pooch on the front above my belly button (this is the top belly), which looks like a fat roll but really isn't as it doesn't go all the way around, an indent where my belly button is, and then a pooch below my belly button (this is the bottom belly).
Unfortunately, despite many changes in my shape in the years since my journal entry, my drawing from when I was 14 is pretty much still accurate. Even at my thinnest and most fit, I've had the double belly.
That being saiad, one of the things I've always looked forward to with pregnancy is the disappearance of the double belly! Granted, I'll have one ginormous belly instead, but hey, I'll take it over two any day! At least there's a good reason for one big belly, you know?
Anyway, it's only been in the past day or so, but I'm finally at the point where the belly button indent (and subsequent double belly) is almost gone! I looked in the mirror last night was was shocked at the fact that I have not just a fat (double) belly, but I pretty nearly have one big pregnant-lady belly!
Here's the progression over the past few weeks:
15w,1d -- After Amy's wedding
(See how I have the bump right under the sash and then the dress just falls without interruption? Yeah, that's a prime example of the top belly rearing its ugly head.)

16w -- At a work event

17w -- About 30 minutes ago
(excuse the faucet and bathroom-ness, please...)

Anyway, as you can see, I've pretty much got a pregnant belly now. Exciting! Also very exciting is the fact that I am nearly certain I've been feeling movement. Well, actually, it's safe to say that I've definitely been feeling movement. It started out as a very rare flutter or two toward the end of week 14, and within the past few days, it's definitely increased! It's not totally regular yet, but I feel it multiple times a day now, and it is so cool.

It definitely makes all of this so much more real to feel this little person moving around in there. I am beyond excited for Brett to get to feel it, too. I'm hoping that will happen in a few more weeks, although I know it could take a bit longer. Still, it's very fun, and it definitely reminds me to pray for the baby more -- I try to say a prayer every time he or she moves.

I have my next doctor's appointment on Tuesday, after which I'll schedule the "big" ultrasound. Although we aren't finding out the gender, I'm still very excited to see this little person again!

I'm feeling better as this week has gone on (knock on wood) so that is great. I really hope it continues. I'm so tired of feeling sick all the time! I'll be interested to see on Tuesday whether I've gained any weight back since my last appointment. I hope I have, at least a little.

I should go find something to eat now...It's lunch time, and I'm actually hungry for once. YAY! I have to jump on that while it lasts!

3 comments:

Andy said...

You are so cute with your baby belly! And I totaly had (um, well, have) the double belly. I totally know how you feel with that one, it was a happy day when my two bellies merged into one :)

And, forgive me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it JJ who drew a pretty good diagram of her double belly on her blog?

And I'm totally saying girl :)

DMB said...

Awwww...you look so cute! :) Amen to the end of the double belly (I can say that firsthand).

D

Kris said...

You look lovely pregnant! I love the baby belly. The photos are great. I loved having a surprise, so I hope you do too. Thanks for posting the photos... it's so fun to see! And thanks for the prayers... we'll write long emails soon =-)