Monday, October 29, 2007

shower recap and photos

Although I am completely exhausted, (third trimester pregnancy and traveling don't mix!) I can say that the weekend was fantastic, and so was my shower.

I think the easiest way to do this is through posting photos with captions, so I'm going to give it a shot after a brief introduction.

Once I got on my way on Friday (after having a stress-induced, crying pregnant lady meltdown not only in front of my co-workers, but also at the sandwich shop on the way to the train -- not fun), my weekend was great!

I got to spend some time with most of the parents -- my mom, my dad and stepmom, and Brett's mom -- which was nice. It was good just to hang out with all of them!

Ok, now to the pictures...

Before the shower on Saturday, we went and did some errands and then stopped by my mom's friend Julie's house, since Julie couldn't come to the shower and she wanted to give me a gift.


She had made a beautiful quilt for the baby! It has lots of different textures on it for the baby to feel -- chenille, cotton, flannel, rick-rack, satin. It is amazing; I love it!

After chatting with Julie for a while, my mom and I headed to the shower.

The hosts of the shower (and me) (and my neice, Adeline): (l-r) my sister Melissa, Brett's sisters Amy and Rachel, and me. They did a fantastic job! (I always feel short next to my SILs...we have a joke that when we hug, I just get a face full of their bosoms.)

My sister Melissa, my neice Adeline, my mom, and me. Yes, I know, we all look alike!

A pretty good shot of my belly. This is me with my friend Lisa, whom I have known since I was in high school and she was a young married lady helping to lead high school youth group and choir at church.

The blanket my stepmom Sandy made. She makes fleece blankets for all of the grandkids. This one has cute turtles on it! She also got me the little stuffed turtle that you can see in my right hand. It's really cute!

Brett's sisters, Rachel and Amy, and Amy's husband Seth, all went in on a bunch of bath supplies -- the tub, towels, washcloths, shampoo, etc -- including these adorable hand puppet washcloths. They are super cute!

Amy also made the baby this pair of knitted, felted booties. They turned out so cute!

And this one is just funny. Please, please excuse my ridiculous expression. But the fact that it's a Busy Bee? CRACKED. ME. UP. Like that scene in Best in Show, you know? It's from my stepmom and she said that she saw it and had to get it because she thought of the same thing.

And now a bit about the cake. It was, in a word, incredible! Brett's mom and her sister, Aunt Lauren, made it together. Aunt Lauren makes cakes for a living (and teaches others how to make cakes) so they really went all out.

And, I have to say, it was as delicious as it was beautiful -- carrot cake with cream cheese frosting. YUM, YUM, YUM.

Ok, it says "Welcome Snugglefriend" because Brett and I are huge dorks who call the baby The Snugglefriend. Yeah, I know, we are weird! But our families have picked up on it and they say it sometimes, too!

It had this little cradle on the top, which they made out of gum paste. The best part is? The cradle part will keep for a really long time! It's at my in-laws now so Brett can see it in person and so we can bring it back at Thanksgiving.

I love the little teddy bear! He is waving.

The baby is all cozy with his/her blankets (the fringe! I love the fringe!) and pillows.

They even made the little feet wrinkly!!!

Overall, the shower was wonderful. Everyone was very generous and we got a lot of really nice gifts. I was able to bring almost everything back here in my suitcase. There are only a few smaller things, plus the bathtub, stroller, and carseat, which we will need to bring back at Thanksgiving. (Thankfully the co-sleeper my mom got us is being shipped straight to us -- one less thing to worry about!)

If the baby came tomorrow (God forbid; I hope He/She waits until much closer to the due date!), there is very little we'd need to go buy other than diapers, since we are doing cloth and haven't gotten them yet.

It feels nice to be a little more prepared -- that's for sure! And what a fun way to get prepared, being able to see so many people who I haven't seen in a very long time. I'll say it again -- it was a very fun shower!

4 comments:

Isabel said...

HOLY CRAP...that cake is awesome. I love the detail.

You got some really amazing things. Hooray for baby showers.

You and I need to meet for lunch and have our own baby shower. Babboo and I have a few things for the new bebe!

Tiffany said...

It looks like you had a fabulous shower! And ditto Isabel, that cake is awesome.

Kris said...

You're cake was awesome. I love it. Glad you had a wonderful shower and that you have just about everything you need. Better hurry up on those diapers. You never know when baby will arrive =-)

Becky Hamilton said...

Kathleenie,

It was SO good to see you at your shower! You make such a cute pregnant gal and I know you will be a great mom! I can't believe it's been that many years since you were in high school and I was... well not so old! I love you much and will be praying for a great delivery and healthy baby. Hope to get you away sometime for coffee (with baby, of course) and have more time to catch up!! Take care of yourself these next few weeks and enjoy your sleep. :)