Friday, November 02, 2007

the best-laid plans... and also childbirth class cheesiness

I've been planning to participate in NaBloPoMo ever since last year. I've been looking forward to the challenge of posting every day, etc, etc.

And, of course, what do I go and do but forget that yesterday (being the first of November and all) marks the beginning of NaBloPoMo?

GAH! I'm so annoyed with myself! One day in, and I've already failed. Sad!

I'm still going to give it a shot, though. Since I've already failed, I guess even if I post almost every day that will be better than my posting rates of late, anyway, and that will be a good thing.

Oh, and can I just say that I love the logo this year?

~~~~~~~~

We had our second childbirth class last night. It was pretty good; the class is informative, especially for Brett, I think. It definitely reinforces what I already know (and has helped me learn some new relaxation and coping techniques) and it gives Brett a framework to know that how I'm feeling right now (tired, out of breath, etc) is totally normal and to have an idea of what to expect during labor and delivery.

However, last night, we watched the quintessential cheesy childbirth class video: an unmedicated Lamaze birth from about 13 years ago.

There were moments during the video when I couldn't turn and look at Brett because if I did, I knew we'd both burst out laughing. The big hair, the "hee, hee, hee, hoooooo" breathing, the dad's freakishly strong focus on the process (and the extremely annoying look on his face -- like he is trying so dang hard to be understanding and empathetic and "present" for the mom) (come to think of it, it's kind of like how Nicholas Cage looks all the time -- can't you just see him saying, "You're doing great, honey! Just one more push. You can do it!"), the dad's horrible black wifebeater shirt, the mom's scrunchie...

Call us insensitive, but thus far, we have found the birth videos to be more snarkable than educational. I told Brett after class last night that if, during labor, he looks at me like the dad in the movie looked at the mom in the movie and tells me in a sappy voice how great I'm doing while stroking my arm, I might have to kill him. (Or bite him, which is what my sister did to my mom when my mom was doing that while my sister was giving birth. My sister kept saying not to touch her and my mom did and so my sister bit her arm. The thought makes me crack up. I wish I'd seen that.)

Oh, and one final note: I'm 29 weeks today! My belly button is more protrude-y than ever and the baby has been moving like crazy the past couple of days. I can feel really clearly now when He/She is flipping over; there is much more pressure involved now since He/She is bigger. I can more clearly identify body parts when He/She is moving -- so fun!

1 comment:

DMB (andbabybmakesthree.wordpress.com) said...

OMG, I'm so with you on the cheesy videos! What, there haven't been ANY realistic births in the past ten or twenty years?

Happy NaBloPoMo to you!

D