Friday, November 30, 2007

i is in your bellah, growin real huge

First of all, my mom deserves an award for posting for me last night!

I got home from childbirth class and hauled my sick self downstairs to the computer to do my blog post, and lo and behold, there was no internet connectivity. I think I know why (because Qwest is stupid, basically) but that's a whole other post.

Anyway, after a sick hormonal pregnant lady freak-out wherein I shouted at Brett that "*bleep*-ing Qwest was ruining NaBloPoMo" for me, I decided that I would call my sister and ask her to post. She didn't answer her cell phone so I called the house phone. She lives with my mom, and my mom picked up and said my sister was already in bed.

For that matter, my mom was in bed, too, but she is so fantastic that she got up, turned on her computer, and let me dictate a blog post to her over the phone at 10:30 at night. THANKS, MOM!

And now, what you've been waiting for...the ultrasound update. As I mentioned before, there are really only a few causes for measuring so far ahead: a big baby, polyhydramnios (too much amniotic fluid), fibroids, dates being off, or gestational diabetes.

Apparently, according to the ultrasound yesterday, it's the former: It's just a ginormous baby. No fibroids, amniotic fluid is normal for the baby's size, I am 110% certain of my dates, and we already know I don't have gestational diabetes.

So here's the scoop: I'm 33 weeks today, according to my (correct) calculations. The ultrasound yesterday estimates that the baby currently weighs 6 pounds, 13 oz.
Gulp.
The tech said that they calculate that using the abdominal measurement and the length of the femur. Those numbers are plugged into a formula and that gives them the weight estimate. They claim their measurements as to weight are accurate in 80% of cases...I'm not sure I believe that, but that's what they say.

Every measurement they took is ahead by at least a week-and-a-half of my due date, with a couple items (head, abdomen) measuring about 5 weeks ahead! Even the u/s tech said, "That's one chunky baby!" She also said it was a very, very active baby. (I don't think he/she liked being poked and prodded very much; he/she kept trying to move out of the way of the ultrasound wand.)

That said, I'm not really worried about the baby getting too big. I guess I feel like he/she will come when he/she is ready to come, and that my body will be able to handle it when that happens.

Really, I'm just more freaked out by the fact that now I feel like my due date is not realistic (because, let's face it, if the baby is already that big I can't see that it's likely he/she will stay in for 7 more weeks), and I have no idea how to plan when to go out of work, when to have the temp come in to train, etc. I guess that means I should start getting my ducks in a row here at work so that if I do go into labor early, I'm prepared. I should note here the Brett was 7 pounds, 13 ounces and he was three-and-a-half weeks early...so maybe that will be the case with me, too.

I think my doctor may want to do an induction or scheduled c-section, neither of which I want to do. But we'll see what she says. I'm not going to cross that bridge until I come to it. I have an appointment next Wednesday, so we'll discuss this in-depth, I am sure, at that time.

Anyway, all of that aside, it was really fun to see the baby again, even though due to how big and squished the baby is in there and how much he/she was moving around, the tech couldn't get any good photos. But we got to see hands, fists, feet, the heart, the spine...it's pretty amazing. I can't wait to meet this baby!!!!! It's really weird to think that in a few weeks, we'll have a kid.

So since I don't have any ultrasound photos, here is a consolation prize -- a belly photo of me at 33 weeks. I feel like the baby is a bit lower. (I can actually breathe again!) But who knows?
33 Weeks

Once again, sorry for the crappy quality and the fact that it's in a bathroom...I keep hoping to do some nicer belly shots but it never seems to happen. Maybe I'll get at least one or two before I deliver this baby. I hope so!

2 comments:

Isabel said...

Well, I'm glad that all is well.

It is fun to see the baby!!

(And huge babies aren't so terrible!)

Kris said...

At my 36 week ultra sound Ryan was 6 1/2 pounds. The tech kindly reminded us that they tend to gain a half pound each week until birth and that most first babies are late. Screw him because Ryan was a week early and only weighed 7 11. There is hope Kathleen. Just be packed for the hospital... just in case. My sister-in-law had to have hubby do it. Not so good.