Monday, November 19, 2007

it's a bird! no, it's a plane!

No, it's a GIANT BABY!!!! Aaaaah! *Kathleen runs screaming from the room*

So, I had a regular doctor's appointment today (I'm 31 weeks 3 days today), and there's lots to report. The biggest news, though (ha -- no pun intended. Ok, fine, pun intended) is that the doctor measured my belly and I am apparently now measuring -- are you ready? -- 6 to 7 weeks ahead, putting my belly at somewhere around the average size for someone who is 37 or 38 weeks pregnant.

How is that even possible!?!?

Disclaimer: Yes, I am 100% certain my dates are not off. Without going into total TMI-land, I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that my due date is correct. Now, back to your regularly scheduled NaBloPoMo post.

The good news is that we get to have another ultrasound (hooray!) sometime next week. The bad news? Well, I'm not really sure yet. There could be no bad news (I just have a big baby) or some semi-concerning news. The ultrasound will determine a lot -- whether the baby is, in fact, gargantuan, or whether I have excess amniotic fluid, or whether something else could be wrong -- perhaps fibroids? I don't really know.

The doctor said we'd cross those bridges if and when we come to them, and after the u/s, we can talk more about whether I'll need a c-section (so much for those birthing classes, right?) or whether I'll need to be induced. I really hope I can go into labor naturally and that I don't need either of those two things. The only positive about a c-section, as far as I'm concerned, is that it would give me two more weeks of paid leave through my company's short-term disability plan. But is that really worth it? I don't know. Anyway -- that said, I'm going to try to heed the doctor's words and not cross that bridge unless I come to it.

One other odd thing is that I've been having pretty regular Braxton-Hicks contractions over the past few days. The doctor told me that if I'd called over the weekend to report what I told her today about how many BH contractions I've been having, they would have sent me straight to labor and delivery -- whoops...guess I should have called. She did do an internal just to check things, and my cervix is closed and firm (so that is good) but the contractions have been pretty steady since Saturday. They aren't too worried yet, the doctor said, since my cervix is ok and I'm not spotting or leaking and since the contractions aren't painful, just uncomfortable.

However, I now have a list of things to look for, and if I see them I am to call and they will have me come in if it's during office hours or go to the triage unit on the labor and delivery floor if it's after-hours:
  • If the contractions start to hurt
  • If they start to happen at evenly-spaced intervals
  • If I have any spotting or leaking
  • If I notice a decrease in the baby's movement
  • If they just feel different or weird or I feel "off" in any way
Until then, I'm just supposed to keep track of them and time them as best I can, stay hydrated, make sure to eat at regular intervals, and take it easy. I think I can handle most of that, although the taking it easy part will be a little hard --the pile of dishes in and next to the sink is calling me, and the bathroom hasn't been cleaned in forever, and I need to change the sheets on our bed and start packing for this weekend... Yeah, ok, that taking it easy part is going to be a challenge! But I know I need to try, for my sake and the baby's.

While the doctor said it's ok to travel this weekend, she did have the nurse make a copy of my medical records for me to take to Portland -- just in case. Yikes. I don't like to think about what that could imply. At least there will be both a doula (Brett's mom) and a nurse who did her internship in labor and delivery (Brett's sister) on hand this weekend...

In other baby news, He/She is head down (yay!) and the heartbeat sounds good (the doctor estimated it at about 130). I haven't gained any weight in two weeks and am only up nine pounds overall, which shocks me, but hey -- I'll take it. The reason the baby is hanging out on my right side so much is that the placenta attaches on the left, so He/She has more room on the right.

And, with that, I am going to head upstairs and try to coerce Brett into helping me cook dinner and wash some dishes. Then I am going to get in bed and start that whole taking it easy thing. It's been a long day!

No comments: