Tuesday, November 27, 2007

what do I even title a post like this?

In a post the other day, I mentioned that our weekend had been hard at times.

Well, that stemmed from the fact that Friday morning, we found out that one of Brett's oldest friends, Louis, had died on Thursday in a motorcycle accident.

Brett and Louis met at Cedar Park Middle School when they were in seventh grade. They spent their middle and high school years playing basketball together, going camping with each others' families (a staple event in their summer, even up until the year they graduated from high school, was a trip to Trillium Lake), going to concerts, driving around in Louis' old Impala and causing trouble, playing music together, and, in more recent years, talking about, riding, and working on mopeds.

Louis just visited us from Portland in mid-September, when he and Brett attended a concert and spent a week hanging out, drinking beer, eating steak, staying up late, and working on mopeds. I know they had a great time, and I'm really glad that they were able to spend that time together.

I didn't know Louis well; he was a quiet kind of guy, especially around women. But I do know that he and Brett had a bond that went back farther than, well, than probably anyone else I can think of outside of Brett's family. It's hard to watch my husband process this, to know he's hurting and to know that there's nothing I can do or say to make it better.

I'm not sure what else to say. The facts are this: it happened in the early morning hours (between 2 and 5 a.m.) on Thanksgiving day, the police don't think that another car was involved, it happened in an area that is at a higher elevation and at a point in the road where there is a big curve, and given how cold it was that night, there is a possibility that perhaps there was ice on the road and he just lost control.

We spent part of the day Friday with his family -- his mom, dad, sister and niece. They are, understandably, devastated, and I know they would appreciate your prayers.

I'll close with a photo, which was taken last year sometime when Louis came up to hang out with Brett and ride mopeds. (Obviously, Brett's on the left and Louis is on the right.)



In memory of Louis, 11/16/82 - 11/22/07.

3 comments:

Kris said...

oh Kathleen! Hugs to Brett. Our prayers are with you and the family.

Bree said...

This is so sad. Give Brett-o a big hug from me. I can't imagine how sad he must feel. But what a blessing to to have had such a great visit with one another just a few months earlier.

Isabel said...

Oh man, this is horrible. My prayers go out to you and Brett and Louis' family.

I had a coworker (who I shared an office with) die in a motorcycle accident a few years ago. He was my age and it was horrible. Motorcycles are fun, but dangerous. I guess sometimes we just forget that.