Wednesday, December 26, 2007

still here, still pregnant

Sorry to update and leave you hanging for the past week. I haven't had to go to work since last Friday, and it's been lovely. I've barely even checked my email, I've been so lazy, so updating the blog kind of fell off my radar.

Anyway, I had another doctor's appointment today. The exciting news (well, exciting to me, anyway) is that I'm 1 centimeter dilated and 75% effaced. Yay! Progress! Of course, I realize that people walk around for weeks dilated to 4 and don't go into labor at all, but still -- it's nice to think that all the contractions I've been having (some painful ones, too) are doing something.

This was the appointment where we talked through the fact that this baby is ginormous and what the plan should be because of that. My doctor was great; she outlined the risks of both a vaginal birth and a c-section and said that she would let us decide. As I think I've mentioned before, I'd really like to do this vaginally, which I told her. And she said that was fine, and we'd just hope I go into labor soon-ish so the baby doesn't get too much bigger.

She said that once my labor starts, she won't treat it any differently than any other birth just because my baby is big, which was a relief to hear. Another relief was talking through the scenarios that would cause her to recommend a c-section -- severely stalled labor (like pushing for hours and making no progress) or fetal distress (the baby's heart rate dropping or fluctuating). Those are both scenarios in which Brett and I feel that a c-section would be appropriate, so it's good to know that she will recommend one if she feels that it's in the best interest of either me or the baby.

So that's the update. I'm definitely having contractions, like I said, and am starting to feel more and more uncomfortable (I mean, dude, I'm to the point where even sleeping hurts...yeah, not fun), which is a little hard to believe considering I've been uncomfortable for weeks. But somehow it's possible, and somehow I keep getting through it. Thankfully, though, this weekend was, for the most part, relaxing.

The only day that was really intense was Christmas Eve. Both Brett and I felt a little of the nesting instinct, as we cleaned the house and organized things. Brett even did some touch-up painting in the bathroom. If that's not sympathy nesting, I don't know what is!

Also on Christmas Eve, I made our traditional Christmas Eve dinner and dessert (vegetarian tortilla soup and individual chocolate souffle cakes) for us and for four of our friends who came over. After dinner, Brett and I went to church at St. Mark's, the Episcopal Cathedral, which was beautiful. There's something about the liturgy at Christmas that just touches my heart and truly makes it seem like Christmas. Anyway, Christmas Eve was a very long day and by the end of the evening, standing up and walking were both extremely challenging, but it was worth it.

Otherwise, Brett and I spent the weekend napping and playing an excessive amount of video games, both on our old-school Nintendo and on the Super Nintendo that we just hooked up. (You know that if you have a blister on your thumb and your arm is sore from pushing the jump button over and over that you've played too much Zelda and Donkey Kong Country.)

Oh yeah, I totally forgot I promised an ultrasound picture. Here you go. I don't know how much you'll be able to see unless you are a seasoned ultrasound picture interpreter, but I'll try to post descriptions through the magic of photoshop.

It says Happy Birthday Noni on it because Brett's mom's birthday was the day after the ultrasound, so we had the tech type that and we emailed it to his mom. She got a kick out of it!

I hope those descriptions help. I know it can be hard to see the face -- it just looks blobby and kind of creepy and alien-like, but then, that's the nature of ultrasounds, I guess.

If you can see the face at all, and you have an opinion, I'd love to hear whether you think it's a boy or a girl!

And with that, I'm off to bed. I have to get up early to be at work tomorrow...at least it is a short week!

No comments: