Friday, December 14, 2007

you know you're really, really pregnant when...

  • The first thing almost everyone you encounter on a daily basis (your husband, friends, co-workers, and strangers alike) says is, "Wow, your belly is huge!
  • You have a sobbing meltdown because of lentils. (My poor, poor husband. I'll spare you the details but he is quite longsuffering to put up with me these days.)
  • Your boss manages to run into your belly as you pass each other in the hallway three times in one week.
  • Your maternity clothes are suddenly too small.
  • You want to punch the next person who asks you when "the big day" is (seriously, I only wish I knew) and then, when you tell them when your estimated due date is, looks at your belly and raises their eyebrows skeptically.
  • You contemplate making a t-shirt or wearing a sign that says the following, just so you can stop repeating yourself every three seconds:
    • January 18
    • Yes, I am measuring large
    • No, we didn't find out
    • I'm feeling very tired
    • Yes, we are excited
So I'm 35 weeks today. I am really curious to know how big I'm actually measuring. My next appointment is Wednesday, followed by an ultrasound on Thursday, so I'll find out then how big my belly is and how big the baby is. The Braxton-Hicks contractions have slowed down, which I guess is a good thing...sort of...because, of course, now that I'm getting further along, going into labor wouldn't be a bad thing anymore. Another week would be nice and would probably make some difference for the baby, but basically I'm in the safe-ish zone for giving birth.

I have my first-ever load of baby clothes washing right now. :-| It's kind of a weird thought, honestly. I don't think it's sunk in at all that I'm going to have, you know, a BABY in a few weeks. A person. Who is also a baby. Who is our responsibility...forever. Yikes.

I'm feeling good about making progress on my to-do list. Here's where it stands this week. I'll start with the red things, because it's always fun to see progress:
  • Find out how to add the baby to my health insurance and if there is a way to do this before He/She is born
  • Find out how to add the baby as a beneficiary on our life insurance policies, IRAs, and my 401k, and if there is a way to do this before He/She is born
  • Decide how much to set aside in flexible spending for 2008 -- This is 100% decided. I talked to HR for a long time yesterday and we have a plan worked out that will favor me either way. Yay!
  • Talk to my boss/HR about the logistics of taking my FMLA leave -- Done! I understand what my responsibilities are in this, and HR knows to expect a claim from me. Plus, I found out that under Washington State law, if my doctor writes me out of work early, I will get paid for that time with short-term disability, and while it will come out of my FMLA leave, that time will be added on to the end of my FMLA leave with leave mandated by Washington state's FMA -- so no matter how you slice it, I'll still get my full 12 weeks with the baby after he or she is born, even if my doctor writes me out of work early. YAY! Also, the temp agency is sending someone to start 12/27...that eases my mind quite a bit. I hope we'll at least have a couple of days together for me to train the person since that's so soon.
  • Find out what FMLA benefits, if any, Brett is eligible for -- Done! We found out that he is actually even eligible for some paid leave (three weeks) plus any vacation time he wants to take (he has two weeks accrued) for a possible total of five paid weeks. He has worked out a plan with his boss to take off a week to 10 days when the baby is first born, and then more down the road as needed and after I go back to work.
  • Interview and select a pediatrician -- I'm just calling this done, because interviewing someone is sooo not happening in the next couple of weeks. And I'm fine with that. We can always switch down the road if something doesn't click.
  • Pre-register at the hospital
  • Draft some kind of loose birth plan outline
  • Decide on a girl name
  • Better organize baby's drawers/clothes -- Done! I did this last weekend and it felt really good to get things in some semblance of order.

Now, for the black (things still to-do) items:
  • Confirm our childcare for when I go back to work -- Again, still pink. But the news that Brett gets some paid leave will help tremendously here. Also, Brett's mom is willing to come up and help out for a while, too, so really, I am not overly concerned.
  • Renew our renters' insurance -- I just haven't had time to call them. I need to do it ASAP.
  • Re-activate contributions to our Roth IRAs -- Still haven't done this. Again, just need to call or e-mail but I never seem to have time.
  • Start a savings account or 529 for the baby -- Still haven't done this, either. I kind of think this will just wait until after the baby is born, probably, unless we just do it online and not at the local bank.
  • Finally finish becoming members at Mars Hill -- Still haven't been able to sit down and go through the paperwork together. Maybe tomorrow.
  • Look into purchasing or borrowing the following:
    • Cloth diapers / re-usable baby wipes -- I may just buy these. Haven't decided yet.
    • Infant insert for Ergo carrier -- Still need to run down to the store in Ballard and buy this. Maybe this weekend, or maybe I can stop there after work next week.
    • Another carrier: a sling or perhaps a Moby Wrap -- I'm kind of thinking Moby Wrap at this point. I may just buy one. I really want a Storchenwiege but don't want to spend the money right now.
    • More sheets for the co-sleeper -- C said she'd send me some, so thank you, C! But I am still going to look at the store down in Ballard and may just wind up buying a couple to supplement as well.
  • Write the most recent round of shower thank-yous for the fantastic shower my co-workers threw me this week -- I need to actually, you know, buy thank-you notes in order to do this. Crap.
  • Pack the bag for the hospital -- I'm making progress, thankfully, and will hopefully have everything I can packed this weekend. I need to buy some travel-size toiletries, though.
  • Schedule (and go on) the pre-birth hospital tour -- OK, I am going to amend this one to be: do a test-drive to the hospital and confirm where to go once in labor. Because apparently the tours are booked up weeks in advance (grr) and we also seem to have plans every night they offer them since they only offer them three times a week. So I'm just going to bag this one and be satisfied with a test-drive and making sure I know which floor to head to when we arrive.
  • Work out the logistics with our families of who is staying where and who is coming when, once the baby is born. -- Gah. Haven't even started.
  • Wash clothes, towels, sheets, etc that we've received as gifts -- See above; I'm making progress on this! I have decided to only wash a few things, so that if He/She does wind up being really big, so we can take things back if need be.
And I do have one green item for the week (Leah, you were right -- there's no such thing as no green ones):
  • Try to find a doula -- After talking to my friend Daisy and to Brett's mom (who is a doula down in Portland) and realizing that if the baby really is big and I want to avoid a c-section, I think it would be best to have a doula. I know it's a little late in the game to be thinking about finding someone, but I'd like to try. If any Seattleites have recommendations, I'd love to hear them.
That's it. I feel good about the progress I've made on my list. I hope that next week I'll have a lot more things to cross off!

For now, I am going to go lie down and read or just watch TV for a while. My goodness -- I am TIRED.

4 comments:

Kris said...

Good luck with your to-do list Kathleen. I can remember answering those questions at nine months and wanting to punch people. I think I'm going to have the same problem this time around... it's already started since we aren't going to find out the sex of this baby until he/she arrives. People seem stunned that we just don't want to know and that not knowing just worked for us.

Mom of 2 Boys said...

I'm laughing with sympathy. Posts like this always remind of the day I got on a packed elevator and a man said, "looks like we've gone over the weight limit." I was due in 4 days. I wanted to kill him. Or call his wife so she could.

ENJOY these last few weeks. Seriously. Enjoy the quiet Saturday mornings and sleeping in (if possible). I'm so excited for you.

Best of luck finding a doula too, and let me know how your appointments go this week.

Arielle said...

1. I carried my newborn in NC in what was basically an Israeli Moby wrap. They can be kind of unwieldy to figure out, but SO comfortable and easy to use. Also, really fun to go from the newborn cradle wrap to the wrap where they face out and have their arms and legs out :)

2. I'm SO glad you're considering a doula! I highly endorse this, especially with your current issues. I'll be praying that you avoid a c-section!

Kyt said...

Good luck with everything! I know for sure though that you can not add your baby to your health insurance/life insurance/401K, etc until after they are born since just about everyone and their mother needs a SSN.