Wednesday, February 13, 2008

February 11: One month

Note: I know this is a couple of days late, but this week has been really busy so far. I haven't had much time to be online. So, a bit belatedly, here you go.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dear Elanor,

It's very hard for me to believe you are already four weeks old! The time since your birth has, in some ways, flown by -- it seems it was just yesterday that I was still pregnant and waiting for you to arrive. And yet, it seems like you've been a part of our family forever.

You have grown so much in the past few weeks. Although you were large when you were born (9 pounds, 7 ounces), seeing pictures of you from that week makes me realize how much bigger you've become. You seem so tiny in comparison to how big you are now. Papa and I were just remarking last night how heavy you are getting, and that it is starting to make our arms sore if we hold you for too long. I'm sure you are bigger now than you were at your doctor's appointment on the 31st -- a whopping 10 pounds, 8.5 ounces.

You make grunty, squeaky moans when you are asleep or when you are awake and trying to suck on your hands. Papa and I love watching you try to get your fingers in your mouth; the gusto with which you attempt the task is truly hilarious. You still love to suck on one of our fingers. Sometimes that is the only way to get you to calm down or to sleep. I have to admit that I have contorted my hand in ways I never dreamed possible over the past few weeks, all in an effort to get a finger in your mouth when you're fussy.

You've started moving more on your own, too. You can roll on your side and actually prefer to sleep that way, snuggled up next to your papa or me. You like to grab things -- one of our fingers, a toy, your sleeve, Papa's beard. You can grab on (especially to his beard!) so tightly we have to literally pry your fingers open. You've also started being able to scoot your body around by kicking your legs if there is something to kick against. It's a little scary how quickly you've become semi-mobile!

The spot on your head where it was bruised and scabbed over because it kept hitting my pelvic bone is finally almost all healed. There is just a tiny bit of scabbing left; Papa and I call it your road rash. Your hair is getting lighter, too. It's not nearly so dark as when you were born, and Papa and I think it has a little reddish tinge to it.

I've started to be able to read your cues more and to be able to tell what your different cries mean -- you're lonely, you're hot, you're hungry, or you just want a snuggle.

One of my favorite things is when you sneeze. You usually sneeze at least two or three times in a row, and it's adorable! You take a deep breath, and then out comes this little baby sneeze. You look around, confused, just as another one hits you. Sometimes you sneeze as many as five or six times in a row!

You love riding in the Ergo carrier or the Moby Wrap, although you do protest (sometimes loudly!) when we first put you in. However, you soon settle and either look around at what we are doing, look at our faces, or fall asleep.

Over the past week, I have noticed your desire for interaction increase. You are no longer the sleepy baby with unfocused eyes. You look right at your Papa and me with a sense of calm and recognition. When you are upset and crying, if one of us picks you up, you usually settle down in our arms. It feels so good that you know who we are!

You enjoy playing "This Little Piggy" and you enjoy it when you and I play the kisses game -- where I kiss you and you grin.

We haven't been as good as I would like about reading to you. We've read a few books, but it hasn't become a part of our routine yet. Papa and I were talking last night about starting to read a book a night; I think we'll start that tonight.

You love to snuggle with either Papa or me. You don't sleep well at night unless you are touching one of us. My favorite way of sleeping with you is to lie on my back, with you on your belly on my torso. It's so sweet and snuggly; I can kiss your little head and I can give you my finger to suck on easily if you like. The only drawback to that position is that when you get excited, you kick me right on my c-section incision -- OUCH.

You love it when Papa holds you on your belly across his arm. I came upstairs the other night to find him sitting on the birthing ball, holding you like that and bouncing while watching an arty foreign movie.

We've had many fun outings and adventures since you were born. Your first outing was when we went out to dinner at the Kebab House and to church when you were six days old. You did great! You slept almost the whole time, although you did cry a bit when you got too hot during dinner.

Your second outing was monumental. At a week old, Papa and I took you to Ikea. We were probably crazy to do so, but we were going to be near Ikea anyway and wanted to go while we were borrowing a car. You did great! Papa carried you all the way through the store, and all of the older ladies in the checkout line oohed and awed over you.

We've gone lots of places since: the grocery store, the doctor's office, running errands in Ballard, Target, the coffee shop, Papa's work, Rosanna's studio, and you've even gone to Moped Monday with just Papa.

We've had lots of visitors, too, both friends and family. Everyone is very excited to meet you and to get to snuggle with you.

I can't believe how much you've changed over the past month. It's so apparent when I compare photos of you from the first few days to photos taken more recently.

My girl, I can't believe that you are here and that you are ours. This first month has been a complete joy. I have loved almost every minute of it and I cannot wait for all of the many months to come.

I love you more than I could ever tell you.

Love,
Mama

4 comments:

Andy said...

So sweet, and I can not believe she's a month already. And I know just what you mean about how it seems like just yesterday, yet it feels like they've been in your life forever. Isn't it all just so amazing?

Still beaming for you. She's beautiful.

Arianna E. said...

She is so big! I have to come and visit after I get back from L.A. It's kind of funny being more excited about Elanor being in my world than Brendan's niece. But, I am much closer to you and Brett than Brendan's oldest brother and his wife. I love you all so much. I am so thankful that you are in our lives, and that I can see you becoming a great mommy. Brett is also one of the sweetest dads I have ever seen. I love you guys.

Kris said...

I love this! It's beautiful and hopefully, years from now she'll be able to look back on it and read just how you feel about her. Yay!

Xin Lei said...

OH.....SHE IS SOOOO CUTE! Happy Valentine's Day little Elanor...and Happy 1 month Birthday :).