Saturday, March 22, 2008

I knew there would be days like this...

but I don't think I was prepared for them.

I have never slept as badly in my entire life as I did last night.

Elanor's had a bit of a cold since Tuesday, and it looks like I caught it too. By yesterday evening, I had a massive headache, a sore throat, a runny nose, and that foggy-headed-ness that comes with a cold.

Last night was miserable. I was exhausted when we went to bed around 10, and just wanted to sleep. Of course, nothing went according to plan, and whether it was my nose running, or Brett snoring, or the stupid cat jumping on my legs, or our housemate's loud movie, or Elanor needing to eat, I kept being unable to fall asleep. I had a crying meltdown at 3 a.m. because I'd only slept for about 40 minutes at that point and I was so uncomfortable I couldn't stand it anymore.

So I slept for maybe 3 hours total the whole night, and most of that was sitting up, because if I tried to lie down, my nose would run or I would need to sneeze, and inevitably, it would wake Elanor up if I did. And now, she's up for the day -- so I am, too, even though all I want to do is drink some orange juice and crash back into bed with all the pillows in the house behind my head so I don't actually have to sit up against the headboard to sleep anymore.

Like I said, I knew there would be days like this...but boy, do they suck big time. It's going to be a long day, I fear.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

I hope you are feeling better or at least were able to get a nap!

Xin Lei said...

Oh Babe...last night was like that for me too! I hope you were able to get some rest today...there's nothing harder than being sick and feeling like crap, but having a baby that needs your 100% attention. Hugs!

Adria Davis Tingey said...

Kathleen! Man have I been out of the blog-loop, I am just now reading about and seeing your adorable baby-(I just put your blog in a place I will see it every time I turn on the computer-which is still not a whole lot but...). I totally get you about early morning breakdowns- but after solid food- life is lovely! Sleep is in your future! I'm so happy to hear about your guy's little one-and all the craziness too (in a sympathetic way).