Thursday, April 17, 2008

April 14: Three Months

Sorry this is a few days late. I had it written but have had no time to post. Life's a little chaotic with me being back at work; we're in the midst of finding some balance but haven't gotten there quite yet.

Sometime later this week, I'll be posting the exciting news I referenced in a couple of posts recently...it should be, well, exciting!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dear Elanor,

You are now three months old! We definitely cannot call you a newborn anymore; you are awake and alert and you love to interact constantly.

This month has seen big happenings, not only in your development, but also in where we've gone and, perhaps the biggest thing, my transition back to work.

We began the month with our trip to Denver. You were amazing on the airplane; I was so proud of you. Either you were sleeping or you were awake and happy; the fussy times were few and far between. Thankfully, we got a whole row to ourselves on both flights, which was a Godsend.

Spending time with Daisy and Miriam was a treat. Ten-month-old Miriam didn't quite know what to make of you. When you'd cry, she'd whimper too and look up at Daisy with a worried look on her face. And when you were happy and sitting on the floor or in the bouncer chair, she'd scoot over and touch your face and head.

After our trip to Denver, we went straight to Portland, and then down to Roseburg. You were a good baby on this leg of the journey, too. You got to meet your second cousin Joey for the first time, which was fun.

You also got to expand your love of water by taking a swim in the hotel swimming pool. You loved it. Even though it was chilly and you were shaking by the end, you didn't cry a bit, just stared around wide-eyed as Papa and I held you in the water.

After we got home, we just laid low for a couple of weeks, during which we celebrated Easter in style with an adorable outfit from Noni.

We then went to the beach with all of the ladies for the weekend -- you and me, Mema, Noni, Auntie Amy and Auntie Rachel, Great-Grandma Dori, Great Aunt Lauren, Cousin Missy, and your second cousin Joey.

We had a great time!

You were highly underwhelmed by the ocean...

...and the carousel.

You loved bathing in the big tub, though.


We haven't done much since our return from the beach. I wanted to savor the last few days of my maternity leave, so most of our time was spent snuggling, going on walks, or hanging out at Cafe Fiore -- not exactly picture-worthy pursuits.

Going back to work has been hard for me, but it's been wonderful to know you are being cared for by people who love you. I'm just holding out hope that someday I can be home with you more.

You've changed so much this month; I barely know how to begin. The biggest change is what I mentioned before: you are really not a newborn at all anymore. You are so alert and attentive when you are awake! You follow everything that is going on, and you love to be a part of the action.

You have gained so much weight. It shouldn't be a surprise, since you love to eat and you've been ginormous since you were in my belly, but I was shocked when Papa put you on the scale at work the other day and it said you weighed 17.6 pounds. Oh, well. I'm certainly getting strong arms from carrying you around!

My favorite thing is watching you smile. You will grin when you see Papa or me (or anyone who smiles at you, really). You'll also laugh when we are playing. It's this little giggle and squeal and I cannot get enough of it.

I'll sum up by listing some of your current likes, dislikes, and things like that.

Likes: sucking on your fingers, playing during a diaper change, baths, singing silly songs, nursing, watching movies with Papa (you talked and cooed throughout a Kurosawa movie the other afternoon), riding the bus, being snuggled in the Moby.

Dislikes: being hungry, being too hot, no one paying attention to you, eating from the bottle (sometimes), being in your carseat.

Favorite toy: Squeaky pink bunny and jingle Piglet are currently in the running for favorite toy status. You love pink bunny's squeak, and your favorite part about Piglet is that his little snout is perfect for you to latch onto.

Favorite position to be held: You still love being on your stomach across an arm.

You are becoming more and more of a little person every day, and it is so fun to see. You are, for the most part, a very happy little girl. That said, you do know what you want and if you aren't getting it, you let us know, usually loudly and with lots of crying. You're just opinionated, I guess.

It's funny; at first Papa and I didn't want you to get big. We loved how little you were and wanted you to stay all new and tiny forever. Now, though, as we are beginning to see your personality develop, we can't wait for you to get big! To talk with us, and color pictures, and go to the park...it's going to be so much fun!

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'm sure: I love you, little girl. You make my life a thousand times brighter by being in it. I don't care if you are smiling and laughing, screaming your head off, spitting up on me, or pooping everywhere. It's all a complete joy.

Love,
Mama

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Ahh! These letters will be so precious to Elanor someday. In that first picture she really looks like you!

C said...

What a doll she is!

(and dude, my 8 month old just hit 18 lbs! Juan wants to know what you're feeding Elanor!)