Tuesday, April 01, 2008

the fright of my life

I was just now walking home from a nice couple of hours at the coffee shop up the street. Elanor was wrapped in the Moby and sleeping away. I was dwelling on how next Wednesday is my first day back at work and looking at some plants in someone's yard when it happened -- I tripped and fell, hard.

As I fell, I could see Elanor's head falling backwards and going directly toward the pavement. I yelled something -- I am not sure what; I think it was something like, "Oh, GOD!" -- and managed to catch myself on my knees and my hands before her head hit.

I dissolved into tears as I started getting up, looking at my bloody hands and now muddy jeans and thinking about what had almost happened. Thank God I managed to catch us before her head hit the pavement!

It was one of the scariest 30 seconds of my life, thinking that she could have hit that sidewalk and what might have happened. I don't know what to chalk it up to: whether I was wearing larger (and therefore clumsier) shoes than normal, or whether I was preoccupied, or what. And that sort of freaks me out, because I don't know how to prevent it happening again. I'm certainly not going to stop walking to Fiore or wearing her in the Moby; that would be, in my opinion, an extreme overreaction.

I guess I can't always prevent accidents like that from happening. I'm sure every parent has a story like this one. Even so, knowing that doesn't make it any less scary when I stop to think about what might have happened.

~~~~~~~~~~

In other news, Elanor and I spent the last few days down in Portland, first hanging out with my mom and sister, then heading down to the Oregon coast with my mom, Brett's mom, Brett's two sisters, Brett's Grandma Dori, his Aunt Lauren, his cousin's wife, Missi, and her new baby, Joey. We had a great time! Pictures will be forthcoming -- I've posted them to Flickr and will post some here soon.

Ok, I have to work on our income tax return while Brett has Elanor upstairs...ugh...not what I want to be doing right now, but I have to get it done before I go back to work!

5 comments:

Kris said...

I'm glad you guys are okay.

Xin Lei said...

Yeesh...I hate scary mishaps like that! Yea, it's hard not to break down and over-react, but don't feel bad...it happens to all of us! And I'm glad your taxes are done too...one less thing to worry about in prep for next week!

Rachel said...

I bet that was scary. I was holding my breath until I read that she was OK.

Going back to work will be hard, but it will be OK. Women do it every day. Elanor will be in good hands with your family watching her.

Isabel said...

Oh my goodness, I'm glad that nothing happened to you guys. That IS scary.

Last night Babboo feel off the bed for the first time. He hit his head on the wall and got a bump. But man, it could have been so much worse.

I'm not ready for him to be old enough to be out of my sight and diving on his own.

Kyt said...

I'm glad you guys weren't seriously hurt! Please don't beat yourself up over this, accidents happen and even the best of moms can be caught off guard.