Saturday, April 12, 2008

I saw the sign

Ok, so I couldn't resist the title. I mean, who doesn't love a little Ace of Base every now and then? I know I do. *running to iTunes to turn on some Ace of Base*

One of my favorite memories from my France trip a couple years ago was doing karaoke of Ace of Base songs (and many other random artists) in this really weird karaoke bar in Honfleur, owned by the guy shown below, a Korean man who had moved to France via San Francisco, and who liked to play his flute or saxophone along with all of the songs. It was pretty hilarious.

Aaanyway, the point of my title is that I've been meaning to blog about some signs and fliers I've seen lately that made me either crack up or do a double take.

The first one is this one, for a pho restaurant about a mile from our house:

Bwahahaha! I love it. UnPHOgettable. LOL. That's my kind of humor, right there -- the cheesy pun. (PS -- I took this photo from the window of the moving bus while on our way to our friend's birthday party...sorry about the glare.)

Every time Brett sees this sign he says that he wants to open a take-out pho restaurant called Pho-Off. I tell him that it should really be Pho-Out if you're going to be grammatically correct, but I realize that ruins the pun. Heh.

The second thing that made me do a double-take and roll my eyes was a billboard I saw on the side of a bus a couple of days ago. I tried to take a photo with my cell phone, but the memory on the camera was full so it didn't let me save it.

Anyway, it was for this website that is www. goredforwomen. org, which is about fighting heart disease in women. But COME ON PEOPLE, did you not read what your url actually says? It looks like gored for women, not go red for women! I had visions of some bull goring people on behalf of women...D'oh. Not so much.

The third thing I saw that made me basically just throw up my hands and say WTF is this flier I got when I was in Denver. Daisy and I were at the mall, and there was a Christian bookstore. Seeing as Seattle is, like, totally pagan and I can't think of where on earth there is a Christian bookstore here, I went in because Brett and I had just been talking about getting a new Bible, so I wanted to see what they had.

I wound up buying one (a version of Eugene Peterson's The Message that is divided out into sections so you can read it in a year) and the cashier stuck this flier in the bag with the Bible. When I pulled it out later, the section on the far right struck me as, well, as being kind of unclear and bizarre.

It says, "50% off sale event, healing through Christ, one week only!"

Ok. So. What in the world does that mean? Is "healing through Christ" a book series? A set of study materials? A seminar for people who need emotional healing of some kind? What? I JUST DON'T KNOW!!!

Because to me, it sounds like the store is selling healing -- like, you know, what Jesus did, stuff like curing the lepers and making the blind see and the lame walk -- and said healing costs money, but it's on sale only for one week.

I hate crap like this, stuff that is completely unclear and makes you think one thing but really means something else, because, let's face it, I'm sure they're not selling actual healing. But it certainly sounds that way. It's one thing if it's some botched English on a sign or something in another country (like this photo Joel and Sarah took when they were on vacation a few weeks ago), but if I'm in an English-speaking country, I would hope that things would make sense and be spelled right and be grammatically correct. Ah well, a girl can dream, can't she?

So that's the random crap I've been thinking about lately, when I'm not missing Elanor. Not terribly exciting to most people, I'm sure. However, I'm sure there are some of you out there who think the way I do and who have seen some great signs or whatnot along these lines. If you have some, please, share them!

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Before the days of digital and cell phone cameras my brother and I used to look for crazy signs. About the time people started using air quotes we started noticing all the misuse of quotes on billboards. Our favorite in the panhandle of Texas advertises, "hot" "good" breakfast. It made us wonder if they only served cold lumpy oatmeal.

In Kansas we saw one that read, "Get your wheelchairs for graduation here."

C said...

That last one made me snort Diet Coke up my nose!

I'm totally drawing a blank on signs like that, but I swear I saw one just last week. Now it's going to drive me nuts.

Kris said...

Okay, so this one wasn't on a billboard, but in the church bulletin it said, "Food panty in need of donations." Hmmm....