Saturday, May 17, 2008

long story short

Because it's late, and because I'm tired, and because I'm still in the hospital (yeah, that's dedication -- posting from the hospital) and because of what happened, this is going to be short.

On my birthday, May 13, Brett woke up at about 5:45 to hear me gasping for breath. He couldn't get any response from me, and Elanor started to cry, so he took her downstairs to his mom, who was there helping care for Elanor. He went back upstairs and I was blue and unresponsive, so Brett called 911. Brett's mom came upstairs and gave me chest compressions and CPR before they arrived and, to put it bluntly, saved my life.

Basically, I had a cardiac arrest.

Yeah. I know. I can't think about it too much and I don't think it's sunk in well yet.

I don't even know what exactly happened, and I've only just started remembering things today. I am still very forgetful, which is in part due to all of the drugs I've had in the past four days, and in part due to the experience itself.

So I've been at Harborview (which I'll have to write about in another post sometime; it's a post in and of itself) recovering. They put in a defibrillator yesterday (May 16) and amazingly (by the grace of God, really) I am up today, talking, walking, took a shower, and most wonderfully am off of narcotics and was able to nurse Elanor.

The amount of support my family has shown me has been incredible. (Becca, that includes you.) Thank you to all of you who have emailed, sent cards, posted on Facebook. It means a lot to know how much I am loved.

I've got more to write about this, or at least I will at some point, but I don't know how much I'll be around my blogs (this one and at Seattle Mom Blogs) in the near future. Please feel free to email me or call me if you have my number...but my blogging time is going to be limited to some extent just because I really do feel better if I stay in bed. But we'll see. If the past few days (and how quickly I've healed) have been any indication, I'll probably be back more quickly than I expected.

Thank you for all your prayers. I'll try to update soon.

24 comments:

Arianna E. said...

I am really happy you are here with us and that you are feeling better. I'm here to help you in any way. Let me know. <3

Kris said...

OMG! Kathleen, I am so glad you are okay. HUGs and lots of prayers are being sent your way.

Rachel said...

That is really scary for all involved. I am glad Brett was there and the his mom was able to help with Elanor.

Take care of yourself!

Kyt said...

Again, I am so happy you are okay. And again, please let me know if there is anything I can do for you guys.

Xin Lei said...

Kathleeny...words can't describe how happy I am that you are ok. When I got the call from your sister last Tuesday, I was so distraught. My Mom and I prayed so hard for you...we love you so much...THANK GOD you are safe. Your Brett is amazing...I can't even say how proud I am of how well he took care of you, especially on that first day when nobody knew what was going on. He is awesome!!

Mom of 2 Boys said...

I just wanted to let you know that I'll be continually lifting you up in prayer for a speedy and fully recovery and healing. I'm SO thankful you're on the mend!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Leen - I have been thinking of you and praying for you. Take care of yourself!

Julie (PennStateLuv)

Karen (kwisie) said...

We're praying for you!

Carole said...

Leen, I'm so glad that you are okay. I was looking at my pictures from Seattle the other day and thinking about you and Minda. I'm praying for you.

andbabybmakesthree said...

Omigosh!! How scary!! I am so glad you're okay. Will be looking for updates as you're able to make them. Wishing you a very speedy recovery.

D

Isabel said...

You will continue to be in our thoughts and prayers.

(And dude, when Brett called and said this happened on Tuesday, it didn't even resisted that it was on OUR BIRTHDAY! No wonder we didn't talk that day!)

Nic said...

Oh Kathleen! You poor thing. How scary. I'm glad you're okay. Lots of positive thoughts for continued healing.

Liz said...

OH MY GOODNESS KATHLEEN!

Sending you healing vibes and restful prayers...for you and your family.

I am so glad that your husband and mother-in-law were able to help you.

Morgan Territory said...

Kathleen, I'm so glad you are doing better. How terrifying!! The same thing happened to friend of my husband's. She is doing great and has even had a few kids since then (it happened right before they were married). I'll be checking in to see how you are doing.

Meg

Anonymous said...

This is from Lorie (Baker) Dolo.
So glad to hear that you are feeling better. Scary times. God is good! Blessings!

Kelly said...

Came over from Isabel's blog... hope you are back on your feet soon! Hugs! :)

Chas said...

Wow, how scary! I'm so happy to hear that you're on the mend....take care!

Claudine Elizabeth said...

oh dearest kathleen. my heart broke when i heard that you were rushed to the hospital and no one knew how you were. but, i am so so so relieved and happy and grateful that you're okay, you're still here with us, and, most importantly, you are here with your family. i love you very much and have praying ever so ferverntly for your healing and for your family!

xo's

HollowSquirrel said...

Oh honey, I am so sorry. How absolutely crazy and scary and oh you and your poor hubby are in my thoughts and prayers. Take it easy, 'k?

jennyonthespot said...

Oh Kathleen! It is so good to hear that your are OK (still in the hospital, but alive!!!). What an extraordinary thing to have happened. I hope the doctors can solve this long-term and that you are back to 100% very, very soon. Looking forward (lots of hope here) to lots of healthy updates :)

Hugs and prayers...

rebecca said...

Just let me know if I can do anything!!!

twelvekindsofcrazy said...

I'm so glad you're ok. Sending you good thoughts.
Sincerely,
Tina

Glamorous Good Girl said...

I hope you feel better soon!!

Kandace (Lamar) Knapp said...

Kathleen,

I hope you get better soon. Hang in there!