Saturday, September 20, 2008

It's been an interesting week; we've had a lot of change happen all at once, mostly on Thursday.

First of all, Thursday was my last day at work, at the job I've had since we moved back from Maine, the job I had before we moved to Maine, too. It's the job I've had the longest in my post-college life, and it's been a good job with good co-workers. So as excited as I am to be home with Elanor, it was pretty bittersweet to leave it forever.

Second, Rachel left on Thursday to go back to school. She's been with us the entire summer, since mid-June. She has truly become a part of our immediate family, and in addition to helping us watch Elanor while we were at work, she's been our caregiver, our helper, our companion, and, most of all, has become a really awesome friend to me. She's only been gone a few days but I miss her already.

So, two big changes in one day. It's all just starting to sink in, and I think it will continue to do so over the next week or two.

One big effect that will come out of Rachel leaving is that once Brett's parents leave tomorrow (they're visiting for the weekend), Brett and Elanor and I will be alone in the house for the first time ever, with the exception of a few weeks here and there. For one thing, we used to have a housemate, but he moved out, and for another, we've had family here nearly continuously since Elanor was born. There were maybe eight or so weeks of my maternity leave when none of our family was here, but between visits right after she was born, and then visits to help care for Elanor when I went back to work, and then people taking care of us after my heart thing, and then Rachel being here...yeah. We've had constant people here with us for the past five months or so, and the three months before that were not constant but were nearly so.

Anyway, it's going to be weird to be here alone, I think. It's going to be great in a lot of ways; I'm looking forward to some changes we're making with regard to how the house is set up -- moving the guest room, setting up an office/work space for me -- and I'm glad that I don't have to worry about Elanor disturbing anyone if she wakes up early or if she cries in the nighttime or if she's just being loud. But it's going to be strange to be alone, and, I'll confess, probably a little creepy, too, since I'm so used to having other people around.

I have so many other things I want to blog about these days, but I don't ever seem to have the time to type them out. I've taken to composing blog entries in my head as I walk around the neighborhood, pushing Elanor in the stroller. The only problem is that I don't have any way to record them when I'm doing that, and my time at the computer is limited, so the majority of these mental blog posts never get posted. And that's a shame. I've started carrying around a little notebook wherein I can write at least snippets of the things I want to blog about. Maybe it will help me remember them and will make it easier to type them out once I do have a few minutes at the computer.

I should wrap this up. Brett wants some more gingerbread (I just pulled it out of the oven a few minutes ago; it's yummy and warm and we both devoured our pieces in a matter of minutes) and I think I do, too. So since he is holding a sleeping Elanor, I suppose I should get up and get it for him. He just looked at me pleadingly...I'd better get to it. (Besides, I want more, too!)

1 comment:

Xin Lei said...

friend!! can't wait to hear how your first week at home is going!