Thursday, October 02, 2008

wow. kind of intense.

Uh.

I just tried to make some oven-baked french fry-ish sort of potatoes. Did not go so well. Perhaps it is a message from the Lord about my possibly excessive love of potatoes.

I turned on the oven to preheat while I peeled and sliced potatoes. As I finished, I realized it smelled funny in the kitchen.

I opened the oven door to see what the deal was and there were FLAMES, like actual firey flames, in my oven.

I think I yelled, "OH BALLS!!!" while I just stood there, dumbstruck, and watched the flames for a minute, thinking about how I don't have a fire extinguisher and maybe I should call 911 and what in the heck would I smother a fire that wouldn't just catch fire itself IN THE OVEN AHHHHHHHHHHH!

So I did the first thing I could think of. I grabbed my phone and called my mom, since I knew she'd a.) answer right away and b.) know what to do. (There's a good chance Brett wouldn't be able to answer and that he would have no idea what to do. Mom seemed like a better choice.)

"Hi-mom-there's-a-fire-in-my-oven-flames-smoke-helllllllp!"

"Oh, uh, wow! Um, baking powder! Put baking powder on it."

I ran to the cupboard and threw it open.

"Powder? Are you sure, powder? Not soda?"

"Oh, uh, I, uh...yeah, soda! Baking SODA."

"Soda soda soda where the heck is the SODA!!!"

I finally found it behind the red wine vinegar (seriously? I clearly did not re-shelve it properly last time I used it) and turned around to see smoke billowing through the kitchen (well, ok, maybe just wafting) and Elanor looking at me with curiosity. I pulled the oven racks out (with a hot mitt, of course, I'm not that dumb) and threw them onto the oven door, then proceeded to dump at least half a box of baking soda onto the flaming piece of whatever-the-heck was stuck to the bottom of my oven, extinguishing the flames.

Whew. That? Was a crazy five minutes.

And I am still hungry. :( Sigh. I guess I will wait until the oven cools off, wipe it out, and then try again with the potatoes. And I guess that I will also be running a self-clean cycle on my oven, very, very soon.

1 comment:

Xin Lei said...

Eww...I hate when the oven catches on fire! Um, yes, it's happened to me on multiple occasions (i.e. I'm a terrible cook!).